New rod

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
After 2 seasons on the rivers I'm totally hooked on fly fishing. My cheapo rod now has to go, to be replaced by a quality one. I have an idea of what I want but so far; can't find it!

95% of my fishing is on medium rivers. I do have an odd day on a reservoir, so that's swung me from a 4 weight to a 5. I know a 6 or 7 would be better, but this is a compromise.

I do lots of nymphing so I want a rod at least 9 foot long.

Long casting isn't cruicial, but I'd like to have the option to put a resonable line out as and when needed. So, action wise, I'm looking at middle to tip rather than either of the 2 extremes.

I can spend 200 but less would be good. Second hand is ok if my ideal rod is above my budget.

So, a 9 foot, or even better; 9 foot 6, 5 weight, medium action, top quality rod is what I'm after.

Can anyone recomend and brands/ models?

Cheers

Reaction score
Ric, if a 9ft would do, look for a Diawa Altmoor Rendezvous, rated 4-6 line. I have been using one with a 4wt Rio on my rivers, and fished it on a weekend in the highlands at a crazy fishery with a 7wf line for rainbows and blue trout to 10lbs. great fun. These rods are discounted down from their ?330 retail often, because folk are obsessed with USA rods. Big mistake. On Ebay they can be as low as ?175, from a dealer "tackletrade", check them out. Diawa fly rods in my experience, always seem to be happier with one line rating higher than stated, and will take a lot of overloading. And they are British made. You may be better with a longer rod for if you are Chzek nymphing. Happy fishing.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

That site I put the link to has some Lefty Krey rods at a reasonable price

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The Streamflex is very close to the top of my list. I also like that fact that they do a 10 foot version, this may well be what I go for.

It's a lot of money though, I want to make sure I make the right choice.

I hadn't thought of Daiwa but will certainly look at their rods closely. Haven't heard of Lefty Krey Ed, is there anywhere with more info about them, specifications, reviews etc?

alex laurie

Reaction score
You could do worse than look at Vision rods.
I favour Sage's XP range, but sometimes use Vision 3-Zone in a 5 or 6 as an alternative, particularly in a boat or from a float tube, where I don't want to take my precious Sages out. I think they are very smooth casting rods. They roll cast very well too, which is useful on a river.
You can get a 9' (#5) for around ?120 or a 9'6" (#6) for a tenner more.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Lefty Kreh is one of the best fly casters in the world --he's American ...and if he has put his name to a rod it should be good

Fred Blake

Reaction score
If you can find one get a Leeda Dragonfly 9'6" #5/6. I picked mine up secondhand for about twenty quid and it casts pretty accurately owing to the fairly tippy action. This also makes it quite a fast striking rod, ideal for nymphing. Another advantage is the matt finish.

The downside are poor quality cork on the handle (but you'll have to pay in excess of ?80 or so to get anything better anyway) and the fastish action which is not so good when fishing a dry fly or a team of wets.

Geof

Reaction score
Hi Ric,
I have been most impressed with my "budget" priced Sage Launch.It did well in T&S reviews but the gold colour blank put some folk off.I went to Stockport Fly shop with ?60 for a Greys but my Sage 3wt 4pc 8,6 won the day and has served me well.There is a good range too.It is very different from the top range sage in that it is soft enough to protect fine tippets but throws the best line of any of my past purchaces.It was ?145.Lifetime warranty and posh tube.

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
For me, practicality dictated a travelling type rod. More joints. The Shimano exage filled the bill. Quite tough and a great through to tip response. Not expensive so any damage wasn't such a disaster.
My rod is 9ft 6ins long AFTM 8.
The same rod is available as a two piece.
My best is a very nice Ed Barder 6wt split cane rod. But I prefer to use it for the bigger rivers.
The cost is prohibitive unless you are a nut like me or have unlimited funds!
The Hardy Angel rods are good too. I have an 8ft 6in "smuggler" travelling rod and have used it on streams and rivers in Germany very effectively.I travel a lot in my work so my rods tend to reflect that.

S

Shrek

You'll find Sage XP rods are a lot cheaper at the moment due to the launch of a replacement range for it.

If it were me, I'd hunt around for a 9ft #5 4 piece XP as it would fit your scenario just nicely.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Try Fulling Mill I believe their 5wt is highly rated by quite a few of the International team.
And at a sensible price!

Colin

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I've looked around for a Sage XP but they still seem to be over 300.00.

I'll go for either a Greys Streamflex or Sage Launch (I think!), as soon as one pops up at the right price, I'm in no desperate hurry, season has ended!

alex laurie

Reaction score
Ric,

Unless you are a good caster, you won't be best served by an XP.
I am pretty decent at casting (blushes) and find the XP very responsive. If you are finding your feet I would honestly recommend the Vision brand. The Intro range is easily as good as Sage's Launch. I have a Launch in a 3 weight and XPs in 4,5,6 weights and the Vision in a 5,6,7,9 and double hander in a 12'3" 9/10.

I'm not boasting about my tackle (ooh er missus). Just putting things in perspective. The Visions are great value and are very responsive.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

For me, the Sage rods are probably the very best. I owned two Sage rods that were superb, until they got nicked. Maybe the Scouser who nicked them will let me have them back one day..... :eek:)

Recently I have stocked up on Greys rods which I find very nice indeed. I have a Greys Platinum XD 10 foot 7 weight which actually chucks an 8 weight line better. This I use for most of my ressie nymphing.

I've just returned from Thrybergh after belting out a few on orange blobs!!!

I also have two custom builds by Steve Parton on Harrison blanks. One is a delightful little 4 weight for small streams. The other is a 10 foot 8 weight I use for sinking line work on Ressies.

Both are wonderful rods.

E

Evan

Got to agree in relation to Sage generally and in particular.

I have a 9ft #6 - #8 weight rod made up by Duckers in Oxford from a Sage blank about 15 years ago and it is just superb. Not too stiff, not too soft, handles anything up to and including 18 lb carp :) and unbelievably relaxing to use all day long but without sacrificing any precision.

For back up.... the Hardy's Smuggler. 7 pieces of graphite perfection, never equalled never bettered in a travel rod. 8ft 3", 6 weight and seven pieces and you wouldn't know it wasn't a two piece when you handle it. Soft, sweet yet powerful. Bloody expensive tho, couldn't afford another one if this one got nicked - just a new top section alone cost me ?65 !. But unequalled for the ability to hide it in the bottom of a suitcase away from the prying eyes of the other 'arf + a small reel and packet of leaders and flies.....

On the cheaper end of things then any of Sportfish's IM7 rods;

Plus I notice that Fulling Mill and Airflo both seem to be selling off their ranges of fly rods cheap through various ebay and other discount tackle trade outlets - both new ventures in to the rod market, both good products but it seems both failed to make a sufficient indent into the market to be worth carrying on by either firm.

Or may be I have it wrong and they are so succesful the first versions are being cleared out for an even better new range in each case..... gotta be a bargain tho ! I have the 10ft Fulling Mill gold 4 piece and a brilliant (but very stiff) sea trout / long range reservoir weapon it is too.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Eventually decided on the Streamflex, went for the 9 foot 5 weight. Managed to get an ex-display one with warranty for 130.00 including postage, the full price being 185.00.

It arrives tomorrow, I can't wait!