Lead Weights ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
With the use of more and more inline release system of fishing leads, do any of the Carp Lads think there could be danger to the lakes where these systems are used extensively of Lead Poisoning ?

Bob

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Lead will not actually 'disolve' in water, if it did then all of our roofs and water pipes woyuld have disolved a long time ago.

What does happen I think is that the action of the water (depending on its' PH) will disolve some salts in the lead.

Given that most leads are either coated or painted these days then I think the amount of salts disolved would be minute. I would guess that the water temperature would also effect the mount of reaction as well.

(PS I'm not an engineer; business and law preferred)

noknot

Reaction score
I have read a few treads on this subject before, and I have a couple of points to make:

Dumping the lead on the take has become a fad/fashion with many "Carp anglers?" because they read this is the way forward (of coarse the tackle sponsors want to see this at 1.50 quid per lead!) without understanding why it is an advantage to lose the lead!
So the said "Carp angler" buys the lead release systems as the "comics advise" because they know no better! Where infact unless your water is packed with dense weed there is no need to dump the lead at all !!!
Some anglers claim that dumping the lead brings Carp to the surface and out of the weed, I'm not convinced of this as I can't understand how a 2-4oz lead will keep an angry 20-30lbs Carp down in the water?

As for damaging the water quality of a water I have read that once the lead has oxidized (which happens in air and water, becomes dull grey and not silver in colour) it becomes inert, also if is buried in silt ect??? Not 100% on this but that’s what I have read, if wrong please correct me! So to finish I see it as a waste of money for the anglers that use this and great marketing from the tackle firms!

Last edited:

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I have read a few treads on this subject before, and I have a couple of points to make:

Dumping the lead on the take has become a fad/fashion with many "Carp anglers?" because they read this is the way forward (of coarse the tackle sponsors want to see this at 1.50 quid per lead!) without understanding why it is an advantage to lose the lead!
So the said "Carp angler" buys the lead release systems as the "comics advise" because they know no better! Where infact unless your water is packed with dense weed there is no need to dump the lead at all !!!
Some anglers claim that dumping the lead brings Carp to the surface and out of the weed, I'm not convinced of this as I can't understand how a 2-4oz lead will keep an angry 20-30lbs Carp down in the water?

As for damaging the water quality of a water I have read that once the lead has oxidized (which happens in air and water, becomes dull grey and not silver in colour) it becomes inert, also if is buried in silt ect??? Not 100% on this but that’s what I have read, if wrong please correct me! So to finish I see it as a waste of money for the anglers that use this and great marketing from the tackle firms!

Pretty well sums it up. The only point I'd make is that, whilst a 2-4oz lead won't hold a carp down if it wants to come up, it does reduce the effect of the pull you can apply to get it up if it wants to stay down, so there is some advantage to ditching the lead in heavy weed. Conversely, keeping the lead on helps when playing fish under marginal trees, as it holds the line down away from the branches.

But for ninety-nine percent of carp caught in this country, there's no need to lose the lead whilst playing them. As long as it can come off should the worst happen and the line breaks, there's no need to make it occur every time you get a run.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
mate, I have a friend that has over £8000 worth of tackle inc bait boat etc and swaps is rod/reels every time something new comes out! He thinks carping is all about the gear.
I caught my 17lber on a diawa team match rod on 4lb line and a size 14 hook!

mark