Whats the Next Big Coarse Species ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
If Carp are Number 1 and Barbel Number 2, what do FM Members consider the next in line for Stardom ?

I would like to think it was PERCH ?

Bob

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
After the damaged obsessives of the carp cult, the snideness of the barbel police and the scapegrace antics of some of the wannabees, I hope the next big trend is to chill out and go a-gudgeoning.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be many youngsters coming through that are going to be anything other than carp orientated. :(

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
After the damaged obsessives of the carp cult, the snideness of the barbel police and the scapegrace antics of some of the wannabees, I hope the next big trend is to chill out and go a-gudgeoning.

That sounds good to me Alan, and it would make a great change . . . . .

It has been a while since I last saw the word scapegrace used . . . . nice one!

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I would like to think that there was not going to be a next big coarse species. I would like to see more anglers adopting an all round approach. I certainly do not like the attitude of many carp and barbel anglers believing everything else is inferior. I will never join a single species group again, with the possible exception of a crucian group if ever one is formed. Also I believe that commercial carp waters have deskilled match fishing.
Bob,
Are you sure you would like perch to be the next in species as they do not handle pressure at all well. They are magnificent fish and a great favourite of mine but I have seen so many waters decline rapidly once they get a lot of angling pressure.
Ron,
I totally agree with you that big roach deserve more respect. Unfortunately I think they suffer more from cormorant predation than any other species so big roach are very rare these days. I would love to see them come back in numbers but I can't see it.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I would like to see more respect being given to the roach.

Ron,

There are hardly any Big Roach around, yes a few, but hardly any, even the Big Southern waters are stuggling to find and keep them !!

It's sad, but it's a fact, most Big Roach are to be found on Still Waters, where some measure of protection can be given to the Smaller species !!

Bob

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Paul

Maybe you could organise a Guided Stickleback Trip ?

Have you any venues in mind :p

Bob

dannytaylor

Reaction score
madness :D Iam surprised there are not more out and out anglers who are dedicated to catching mini species.

I can just see the articles now, "stalking Bull heads and stone loach by moonlight) :D:eek:mg:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Angling Times survey

Didn't the Angling times do a survey a few years ago as to what was the favourite species. And the surprise was that tench came first followed by specimen roach. I may have that wrong but, I think that was the result.

Philip

Reaction score
Pike !

I have been saying for ages they are due a go at being the next “in” fish. They got all the attributes…big, mean and needing “proper mans” tackle to drag it in...plus you can target it being mobile, camped out in a bivvy or even from a boat ....which gives ENDLESS possibilities for the tackle trade to milk it ….Boat bobbins …Piker Oars…Predator stealth anchor…

…its just a question of time…wait and see !

sam vimes

Reaction score
I couldn't give a monkeys what the trade consider to be the next big thing. I'll be doing what I've always done and fish for what's available to me as locally as possible. That's likely to mean chub, barbel and grayling on the rivers, perch and carp with the odd roach, bream and tench thrown in on stillwaters. I'll also throw in the occasional trip to a commercial just to remind myself what it's like to see a float dip with monotonous regularity!;):D