Boat Rests

A

Andrew Calvert

I'm after some boat rests for both trolling with multipliers and short rods and float trolling/static deadbaiting with standard pike rods (well, with a few inches of the butt) and fixed spool reels. I relly don't care what they cost, just as long as they are reliable, I've already seen one expensive combo go overboard. Any reccomendations????????????? Removable rests are prefered.

S

Steve Burke

I don't know whether they're still available, but by far the best I've tried are the Taylor Engineering ones. They were highly adjustable and rock solid. I gather that they were eventually sold through just one shop. Graham every board's different - am I allowed to mention a shop name here?

C

Charlie Bettell

The Friendly Fisherman, Tonbridge Wells, sells the Taylor rods rests.

T

Tim Kelly

The rod holders the yanks use for musky trolling are the metal "Down East Salty" models. They are available from Rollie and Helen's (www.muskyshop.com)
You might also want to get a set of float things that clip round the rod, so that if you drop another rod over the side it will float. I've seen these in Bass Pro and Cabela's.

Tim

C

Chris Bishop

Pipe insulation from Do-It-All, B&Q etc is quite good - just stick it round the butt, handle or wherever and the rod'll float if it goes over. I also stick it on the landing net handle.

S

Steve Burke

I've tried a Down East model. It was certainly nice and sturdy, and also released quickly.

However, there wasn't enough adjustment on mine, so it wouldn't fit on the wide gunwhales of some of the trout reservoir boats. I suspect that in the States this would be no problem as most of the boats are aluminium and thus have narrow sides. There may of course be other Down East that are suitable for wide-gunwhalled boats.