Anchors.

J

James stewart

Presently we have 2x collapsable anchors.
These refuse to hold on a soft bottom when attempts are made to anchor up wind/water flow just makes the boat move on and on ...all rather frustrating.
Can anyone give a lead as to a good anchor /approach to this problem ?
Thank you in advance.
James S.

S

Sean Meeghan

James

I take it you mean the 4 fluke anchors. I've now boat fished for 10 years and I've learnt the hard way that there's no substitute for weight. For a 16 ft boat I used a 16lb collapsible anchor 10 ft of chain and a 20lb weight at the rope end of the chain. Let plenty of rope out (at least 5 times the depth of water) and motor or row back on the anchor to set it.

See this October's Pike and Predator for some more ideas.

C

Charlie Bettell

For soft bottoms, my advice to to go for mud anchors, like those use by Norfolk Broads boat users.

I use a 14kg or 18kg mud weight to hold my fishing boat it position.

G

Gary Knowles

Like Charlie says - use a mudweight. I prefer to leave the bucket (used to cast the concrete) in place as it seems to help the suction effect once in place. Drop the anchor vertically over the back of the boat - and don't slow down its descent !

C

Chris Bishop

And carry another slightly larger bucket to drop it in once you've heaved it back up - stops inside of boat and all your clothes, kit etc getting covered in foul-smelling mud.

J

James stewart

Thank you men for the benefit of your experience......the "fluke weights" are a waste of time....may go for the mud weight / bucket of "blue circle".
Have just picked up this months Pike and preds. ...now that work is over for the week I will have time to read it.
Tight lines to anyone who is out this weekend.