Pop-ups or not?

• Thread starter The Seeker of Truth & Justice
  • Start date
T

The Seeker of Truth & Justice

Pop-ups work good on some of the waters I fish, but theyre hopeless on others. but i can't pin down why because some of them have weed and silt and some have clean bottoms but the pattern isnt there. pop-ups are good on the clean bottoms and bottom baits good on silty weedy bottoms and vice versa. so whats making the difference, anybody have any ideas?

C

Cakey

Im one of the rare few that dont beleive in pop ups .
I like natural looking set ups and pop ups dont look natural.
I still use pop ups but not popped up if you know what I mean.

CAKEY

T

The Gaffer

Hi all, I have total confidence in pop-ups.
Pop-ups can be made as natural or as un-natural as you want. From a critically balanced bait that wafts gently with the freebies around it, to a blatant, in-ya-face, bright yellow, 3 inch, glugged pop-up which usually catshes the curious fish.
The last time I fished I had a pop-up on each rod(x4) becuse of how and where I was fishing.

This time of the year there is a lot of dead leaves and weed which haven't started to break down. Can you guarantee with a bottom bait that the hookbait is visible and that the hookpoint hasn't caught on something?

I'll usually use pop-ups when fishing under overhanging trees, near/on dead weedbeds or on weed.

Silt is a different matter, if silt is present then the Carp will feed in the silt, and IMO, regardless of what the silt smells like.
I may vary my approach depending on the water. On one water that I'm fishing the Carp will furrage deep down in the silt for food, so a bottom bait would be ok. On another water I fish I have to use pop-ups on the silt to get a take!

I will also use pop-ups when fishing at distance as I'm usually out of plumbing/marker float range and I can't be sure of the lakebed.

IMO pop-ups are another great tool that when used correctly will outfish a bog standard bottom bait.

Just my observations and opinions, hope they help.

Atb,

Gaffer.

Matty C

Reaction score
pop-ups are a quandry I think.. I think it depends on the loose feed youre offering aswell. For example: If youre fishing just the pop-up, and firing free offerings of bottom bait boilies around it, then it might work. However, if feeding particals, the carp will tend to stick very tight to the bottom, hoovering up the hemp or pellets put down, so a pop-up even if its only popped up an inch, could be an inch too high, when the carps gob is tight on the deck.

Interesting point Gaffer about when fishing out of range of marker float. Not that I ever fish out that far, but its a good point indeed.

Tom, pop-ups work by being bouyant (spelling?).. you attach them to the hair like a normal boilie, but then attach a small weight, such as putty or split shot in the simplest of cases, about an inch down the hooklength from the hook. You can vary the distance between hook and weight, depending on how far up in the water you want the boilie popped up. Then being bouyant, the boilie will affectively float in the water.
Hope this helps, although its a very basic description of how it works.

F

Frothey

look at the dates.....

Tom - have a look in the rigs section, theres a few in there. pop-ups work on some waters, not on others. i havent used them a lot for the last couple of years, but increasingly find myself using them - but i'm fishing a different kind of water to the ones i have recently. pop-ups give the best hooking arrangement and hook holds by far, you've just got ot get them to pick it up in the first place.....

T

The Monk

one rod on each Tom, see which one gives the best results

Tom Fowler

Reaction score
Thanks Frothey and Monk will give it a bash on my next outing, and let you know how I get on.

Colin W

Reaction score
only time i would give them a try is with snowman rigs , very little carp get caught on them in this area on the pop up rigs .

F

Frothey

how many people use them though?

ps. do they have to use very small hooks :)

Carpless

Reaction score
Can't you use that floating/dissolving foam stuff to temporarily keep your bait boyant untill it settles on top of any dead leaves or anything on the bottom? Wanted to know how well that works...

Colin W

Reaction score
a lot of anglers use them and on at least 7 waters here there rubbish with terrible results , a pure waist of money.[apart from snowmans].

F

Frothey

can a fish tell the difference between a 1/2" pop-up ands a bottom bait? its not the bait, its the presentation.

zigs a waste of time as well?

Carpless

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has watched the Korda Carp fishing videos, the ones where they film underwater to see how the carp react to different baits/rigs etc. Well i vaguely rememeber a bit on pop ups where the bait was only 1/2" or so of the bottom and the carp actually misses the bait the bait because it thinks its on the bottom so it messes its perception up. Like i say i vaguely remember so i can't be 100% positive of the details but has anyone else seen that?

S

Steve Clements

I've used them and will continue to do so.
I cannot rationalise why or how a fish finds them attractive, maybe curiosity, the idea of food hovering in front of me seems odd to say the least, but then people hang bird feeders from trees, so a caged cylinder full of peanuts is'nt questioned although levitating peanuts would not be considered a natural food source for wild birds, it is available and recognised.
I tried a zig-rig using an orange coloured piece of foam and hooked (and lost) a carp at 2 am one time. That had to be out of curiosity.