Are fishing website information on demand?

• Thread starter Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride
  • Start date
P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Over the years on this site and others I see people come on, who have never as far as I can remember made a post before, and demand information about a water, river section, etc.

Now what would be your response be if some guy came on to your patch of water were you fishing and said ?Hi what are the pegs, methods, rigs, bait???. I need to fish on here so I catch??

Over the 40 odd years of fishing I can?t remember this ever happing to me, can you? But people will quite happily come on here and do precisely this!
Is because they feel they can ask such questions and hide behind no name or nick name known only to them and get away with it?

Is it, they don?t know how to introduce themselves, so they ask what could be interpreted as impertinent question about a particular water?

Or is that they?re just freeloaders who really couldn?t give a jack, and expect that they have a right to that information?

What do you think it is and why?

Joskin

Reaction score
I dont ever remember anyone "demanding" info Phil.

I am quite happy to give people advice any time any where weather it is on here or on the bank. I like to see people catch and I dont know why anyone wouldnt.

For the first 15 years of my fishing life I pretty much tought my self every thing. I learnt a hell of alot more in the past 10 years when I hooked up with a few buddys that took me to places that I had never been before and showed me things that I had never seen before.

If I can pass on any thing I have learned over the past 25 years to anyone that wants to know then I will do so.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I get it all the time Phil.

One one occasion when I caught some nice roach from the river Idle a while ago I had a bloke wanting to know which swim to the inch, what depth, hooksize, make of stickfloat, bait, ad infinitum.

Some people are not prepared to work it out for themselves. All they want is a "quick fix". And I think you know how much I hate those sorts of people. What they are looking for is the angling equivalent of a brothel!

Joskin

Reaction score
Phil

My first ever post on FM over Two and a half years ago was a question about a specific water. I received zero replies.

Fortunately for me and FM (depends how you look at it I suppose lol:) I was not put off by the lack of response from the forum members and came back to visit the site several times before making another post.

I think that if people get a good response to their initial posting they will be far more likely to become a regular visitor and contributor to the site.

When I made my initial posting I was a forum virgin and had no experience of how forums work. I did not introduce myself first I just waded straight in with my question. I didn't know any better.

G

Ged

In fishing videos and angling books, especially those concerned with Match Angling, they tell you to visit the venue and ask locals of the in bait or method, etc.
Fishing Web sights and mags sometimes have venue reports.
Sio could word have spread to a lot of anglers? Ask and you shall be rewarded.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I have seen it happen a number of times on this site, where a complete stranger comes on and asks where to fish. Some even want to know the peg numbers.

In fact there is one who has posted in the last 24 hours doing just that. He is impertinant enough to ask for such information, but can't even be bothered to put his own details on his profile.

Others have done the same, they recieved the information what some of us so freely give. And then you never hear of them again.

Sorry, but we are now in a time where we should be very carefull in who we reply to and what we say.
The Internet is full of freeloaders and lurkers who glean every bit of information that they can get, with little or no input on their own behalf.

Joskin

Reaction score
Who cares Baz. You should be happy in the knowledge that you have helped a fellow angler. It costs you nothing to give advice.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
And people even steal your best lines Ron or do you use the same angling brothel as me!!!!
Seriously in another thread recently weren't you bemoaning the culture of secrecy that seems to pervade the sport these days. Remember the sullen, rude grunts from inside the bivvy in response to a simple question of 'had anything mate?'

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

It isn't allways as innocent as that though Jos mate.

alex laurie

Reaction score
I'm quite prepared to help people out on methods and tactics. I wouldn't on the other hand go about telling just anyone exactly which swim I caught from, or even mention the stretch of river, in some cases.

This is definitely an internet disease. Before the 'net took off big time, people always tried to find out which water/swim others were fishing. Christ, even I have been followed in my boat on Lomond after some good piking and I'm no Gord Burton.
But it is so much easier these days to pick up info via Google or whatever.
I'm not without sin myself. I have fished in New Zealand and in Canada. You don't make trips like these without doing your homework. I have checked catch reports out wherever I could get them. In the case of NZ, I lurked on the forum for a Christchurch tackle shop, for example. What I didn't and would never do however, is to request specific info such as has been done recently on FM. The best thing to do with these type of threads is to simply ignore them.

R

Yes I was Peter and I hate both sides of the story.

Perhaps I should give an example of how one should approach another more experienced angler in the request for information.

By letter or by Email:

Dear Sir,

As a very keen roach angler, I was most interested in the article/thread/letter recently published concerning your success on the River Idle/Trent/Don.

For my side I must admit that I have struggled a little in the past few months, although my tackle does conform in certain ways with the equipment you suggest.

Please do not think me too forward but perhaps you might be able, with your vast experience, to spot where I am going wrong. I am using casters and hemp in areas near ****** and all I can catch are very small roach. (Include a complete description of how you have fished and what you have caught, including times of the day, weather and water conditions.)

Any advice you can give me would be deeply appreciated.

Yours sincerely

Joe Soap.

If I got a letter like that I would respond with all the information I could lay my hands on.

But when you get an Email written in text talk that is demanding in it's tone, I delete it.

R

Oh and by the way Peter, If I approach another angler on the bank, I NEVER NEVER say "Had owt mate?" or words of that kind.

First of all if you don't know the bloke he is not a mate of yours - yet.

Secondly, like myself, he just might take umbrage at being asked such a question in basic coarse tones.

Rather try this line:

"Good morning/afternoon/evening Sir.

How's the fishing going?

And note I used the term "Sir". It costs nothing and you should see the positive responses it has given me in the past.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You never asked me in those terms Ron .....

You said to me

"Oi Bollocks,had any pulls ???"

R

Well..........

How ARE you supposed to talk to a Scouser?

:eek:)

shep

Reaction score
i havent put my picture on the web site because i simply dont no how to do it my wife set me up this account and showed me how to turn my computer on ,i am dismayed that because i havent asked my wife to put a piccy up that i am a social lepper, i often ask questions and answer them to i have been fishin for 30 years and know a little about the sport , all i want to do is share the love of the sport with other like minded people

E

EC

"all i want to do is share the love of the sport with other like minded people"

You can do that to your hearts content here mate, the pic you display/or not means nothing!

D

DAN .

as a mate of shep im gonna stick up for him and say because he hasnt got a picture up means nothing .
yes it would be nice to see who we are talking to by means of pics but if someone posts a cartoon pic isnt this the same as no picture?
i know its meant as fun but whos behind the mask?
for all we know the same people are using alter egos posting over and over again same can be sead for no pictures but like i sead i know the bloke and hes no computer wiz but hes a regular to this site which should stand him in good stead for help and info from some out there.
slag me off if im wrong but i had to get someone to put my picture on for me as i couldnt do it so i know what its like.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I don't think that no pics is a problem Dan.

Everyone on here will give info to genuine people who are polite.

It's people with no info at all who demand answers that tee others off.

After all I've seen pictures of Ed and he's not really a big green fish.