Is it fishing or just catching now?

jollyboy

Reaction score
With the way commercial fishing setups are now is the essence of fishing now being lost...is everything just getting too easy for anglers? Are anglers becoming lazy and opt for the easy over the challenging just to catch fish?

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Its Fatching or is that Cishing .......

Catching fish gives you confidence, commercials can be great for restoring someones confidence especially if they have blanked for a while. Also, they are great for introducing youngsters and new comers to the sport as it gets them catching fish which then gets them hooked. Theya re also good for Women, Elderly and impaired anglers as they have more facilities in general to suit. They're also great for trying out new rigs and techniques as you can get quite a quick idea whether or not they work.

Don't get me wrong they are in no way easy, they just offer you more opportunity to catch but you still have to put the effort in.

chav professor

Reaction score
if I only fished a few times a year - these are the types of waters I would head for. I couldn't draw enthusiasm to master this type of water - which is no less a skill than any other field of fishing. Just not for me

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I do both - went to a commie today had about 20 carp and about 10 skimmers - loved it.

But I also fish my local canal , had tench , pike , perch , skimmers but mainly roach - very difficult to do well and I can't.

So I like both depending on my mood , but I don't kid myself I'm a great angler , carp on commercials are like roach on canals in terms of its easy to catch a few small ones.

Philip

Reaction score
I do both - went to a commie today had about 20 carp and about 10 skimmers - loved it.

But I also fish my local canal , had tench , pike , perch , skimmers but mainly roach - very difficult to do well and I can't.

So I like both depending on my mood , but I don't kid myself I'm a great angler , carp on commercials are like roach on canals in terms of its easy to catch a few small ones.

What a really good post.

Yes, Carp on commercials are like Roach somewere else so it does make you wonder why Carp get so much flak all the time but Roach gets everyone misty eyed and waxing lyrical.

jollyboy

Reaction score

Catching fish gives you confidence, commercials can be great for restoring someones confidence especially if they have blanked for a while. Also, they are great for introducing youngsters and new comers to the sport as it gets them catching fish which then gets them hooked. Theya re also good for Women, Elderly and impaired anglers as they have more facilities in general to suit. They're also great for trying out new rigs and techniques as you can get quite a quick idea whether or not they work.

Don't get me wrong they are in no way easy, they just offer you more opportunity to catch but you still have to put the effort in.

I have no boubt they have there place,,,I use them myself on times..... as for kids and new starters they are an asset....however i do feel lots become hooked on easy venues and do become lazy...I have heard people say they are off to somewhere else because they wount walk the few hundred yards to the water(and trust me they were more able bodied than me):eek:mg:

little oik

Reaction score
When they first started out I think they were a good idea ,However with a lot of things these days ( reality TV )they seem to grow legs .In some ways I feel sorry for those that only fish them .They have done a sterling service for the Angling cause and got a lot of people into it and also helped less mobile people enjoy their sport .Perhaps some of these people will get to a certain age or wisdom and move up the ladder of the Anglers evolution.

I wonder what the stages are actually .

Hooker !!!!!
Catcher
Fisherman
Angler .

Can anybody think of anymore by chance

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For a lot of elderly or infirmed anglers the commercials are their only choice.

As for me, I will fish one from time to time, especially if I want to try out a new tactic, or a different method, rig or indeed an alternative bait.
That there are an abundance of fish makes them ideal as 'testing' venues

I am always happy to see quite a few youngsters on the local commercial too, in fact you rarely see kids on the local river these days.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I love these waters. Nearly everybody fishing them goes after the, usually mediocre, carp all of the time. This means that I can fish for the big roach and perch that many of these waters contain without any competition.
:)

jollyboy

Reaction score
For a lot of elderly or infirmed anglers the commercials are their only choice.
The thread was not a pop at those that fall into this through health etc.... I am supprised more don't seek to challange themselves and just opt for the cheep payday....Even a lot of the Bivvy-boys these days fish cultivated waters that the venue it's self pays more to there success than there own input....Everything is all mapped out and when one moves out another moves in...

jack sprat

Reaction score
When they first started out I think they were a good idea ,However with a lot of things these days ( reality TV )they seem to grow legs .In some ways I feel sorry for those that only fish them .They have done a sterling service for the Angling cause and got a lot of people into it and also helped less mobile people enjoy their sport .Perhaps some of these people will get to a certain age or wisdom and move up the ladder of the Anglers evolution.

I wonder what the stages are actually .

Hooker !!!!!
Catcher
Fisherman
Angler .

Can anybody think of anymore by chance

Then eventually you get past it and become a Dangler! :wh

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

good post SV