Chris Tarrants marriage rocks due to fishing

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
According to the Sunday tabloids "Who wants to be a millionaire?" (and probably is) host Chris Tarrant is facing the break up of his marriage due to his "obsession with fishing". Interesting only because when you actually read the story it seems his interest in nubile blond bimbo's and nights on the booze seem to have upset his missus far more than his piscatorial exploits.
After all, you cannot cite a fish in a divorce settlement-or can you? Is Angling really such a marriage breaker and do we push it too far with our spouses. Discuss.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I suppose he could allways phone a friend.

I have mainly been a day session angler for years. This year I have taken up night sessions on a regular basis. Which means a 24 hour session in the least, if you want to get the best from it. Finding out when the fish feed the most or waiting to see where they are topping to get an idea of patrol routes etc.

It's okay for me, but for a younger bloke (not that I am old) it would be a lot harder strain on his relationship with his wife I should think.

W

Wolfman Woody

""Who wants to be a millionaire?" (and probably is) host Chris Tarrant..."

Think more than one million. Think double figures times a few. Mind you, that's about to be reduced a bit, by all counts.

Deanos

Reaction score
My money is on "wee willie winky" being to blame...I will of course never know if women really are attracted to blokes with a couple of million...mores the pity! :))).

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

"After all, you cannot cite a fish in a divorce settlement-or can you?"

You certainly could in a divorce petition based on the grounds of behaviour !

Any divorced angler will tell you getting a decree absolute leads to far more time and money to spend on fishing !

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
"wee willie winky" Is that a boilie flavour, or perhaps a mayfly. Suppose it could even be a spod or a bait boat?
Do you think he goes 50-50 when mixing his groundbait?

Deanos

Reaction score
I would think Chris has a ?man? to mix his ground bait, and to cut his pork pies up into little peaces for him before blobbing the sauce on top.
I am in the fortunate position of being thrown out by birds a few times, which is a bit cheaper than getting a divorce?mind you the last one turned up in a van and pinched all my bloody furniture whilst I was at work. Fortunately she left the fridge which had a nice peace of tripe in it I was going to boil in milk for me tea!?sort of a miracle really, if that tripe had gone I would have been very upset Peter!

B

Bob Watson

You'll be upsetting the southerners with talk of tripe Deanos,

Raw with vinegar by the way!!

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Judging by the number of mates and acquaintances I have who say fishing was a contributory factor in their marriage failing I?d say yes Peter!

It certainly was in my case with my first marriage. My second one has been more solid because I started it as I meant to carry on. This me, I go fishing as often as I can and for long periods e.g. weekends. If you don?t like it don?t get into a relationship with me.
Seems to have worked, been together for 23 years and never a cross word about me going. But I do know when not to go, which I have to say isn?t that often.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I used to drink with Chris Tarrant when he lived in Henley in Arden and worked for ATV and if he is anything like he was then I suspect it might be a bit more than fishing thats caused the break up. We spent many a long night discussing the noble art of fishing and putting the world to rights, he's a nice guy is Chris, no airs and graces with him and a man for the ladies was our Chris too.

At that time he worked alongside that idjit Terry (tight lines) Thomas producing a weekly fishing slot and he detested him, biggest conman that ever worked on telly he used to say, "all he can do is cast a fly line and knows nothing about fishing" was his summing up.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Just seen a new advert for Nintendo featuring Chris Tarrant and his good lady where mention was made of him forgetting his forthcoming wedding anniversary. What unfortuate timing! Nintendo must be cringing.
Clearly, any passion or obsession can and often does put a strain on a relationship. My wife and I have very seperate hobbies and she is happy to see the back of me as I fish on the premise I do my bit when I am at home. However in my Carp fishing days I pushed that to the limit and will admit to being unreasonable. Its just some dont recognise what that safe limit is!

G

Ged

Should we worry if the missis says we can go fishing, even when we haven't planned for it?
I also work nights.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
When I was married I used to have to get up early on a sunday morning to go fishing, and be back by mid day latest.

I don't know why she bothered trying to impose some kind of regime on me, I still didn't keep it in my pants.

Now I'm divorced I get up at weekends at my leisure, what time? varies, depending on whether I've pulled or not.

I'll either get rid of the bird then have breakfast, or just have breakfast, then go fishing until dark.

Happy days.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Ged, of course not! Don't worry about it! You carry on listening to the little lady!

Although it's a long drive to Manchester, I've found it's been worth it!

J

Jim Pullin

I've been lucky enough to work with Chris a couple of times and a nicer, more regular guy you couldn't wish to meet. Chris has always fished whenever he can and I expect his missus is used to it. Ignore the tabloid rubbish, they just make it up. Personally I hope they leave him alone to work out whatever problems he has with his marriage.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
could it be a good bit of marketing - put a story in the paper and a few days later screen the advert, don't you think that the ad would have been pulled if there was a serious threat to his marrage?

G

Ged

Cheers Neil.
Plus you've never met my missus.:O)
(I always wonder where her bad back comes from?)
McCartney and McCartney, now Tarrent and Tarrent. Lets hope he gets more time fishing.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Gents a couple of points. Yes, I hope Chris weathers the storm-if indeed there actually is one, and is able to concentrate on his fishing.A number of people have told me he is sound.
Lord Paul what a cynic you are! Good point though. Clever pieces of kit these Nintento!
Ric, my regular fishing pal for many years got divorced about four years ago. Up to that point he fished ever weekend with me, sometimes on both days, which is probably why she dumped him. Now free of her, he has had three longer term relationships with girls much younger than himself plus numerous casual ones if he's pulled the night before.
Because of the clubbing and womanising we rarely fish togther now except on club outings, as he can never get up or has the kind of naked company I would die for, when I turn up to pick him up.
So much for being able to fish more now he's single again!

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Nintento - great bit of kit both kids have one and now I'm left in peace to read my fishing books :)

captain carrott

Reaction score
you certainly do not have more fishing time when you get rid of a woman.

when i was married i used to get up and sneak out of the house to avoid the nagging and whingeing, usually with my eyes closed till i left the bedroom to avoid having to see the sight of that huge hideous arse owned by the ex.

now i roll over think shall i go fishing see the lovely pert little thing in front of me and think sod that cuddle up to her and go back to sleep.