Plea to combat the carp killers

I

Ian Cloke

"BARBARIC" fishermen have been spotted spearing carp in a Birmingham beauty spot.

Visitors to Perry Hall Park, Perry Barr, were stunned by the sight of the men throwing spears into the historic moat to kill the fish and then apparently barbecuing them.

The fish spearing completes a catalogue of suspicious incidents at the park which point to organised thefts of the fish.

Home-made nets have been found in both the moat and the River Tame, which runs through the park, and hidden caches of dead fish have been discovered.

Norman Ball, known locally as Norman the Moat Man, tends to the historic moat of the former Perry Hall.

He said: "Something has to be done. There have been problems for months now and now there are people to spearing fish and barbecuing them which is barbaric.

"We should have a park ranger to stop this kind of thing but it is being left to pensioners to stand up to these people."

And Norman believes anglers will lose out if nothing is done. "I have found nets full of carp and roach and if we are not careful our fish stocks are going to be decimated in Perry Barr," he said.

A Perry Hall resident, who did not want to be named for fear of reprisals, added: "I found a keep net in the river where these fishermen were keeping the moat fish fresh. I was furious and set them free knowing they might survive in the river. They would have been barbecued if I had done nothing."

Secretary of the Perry Hall Community Association Elsie Junchnowicz said she was disgusted at the antics of the rogue fishermen, who were said by witnesses to be of "Oriental" appearance.

"I can't believe this is happening. It has been very upsetting for a lot of local residents," she said.

Park users are now demanding the council employ a park ranger to ensure the spearing and other anti-social behaviour stops.

A council spokesman said: "We are aware of problems in the park and are in the process of recruiting a park ranger at the moment.

"But if anyone sees anything suspicious we urge them to ring our inquiries line on 0121 303 1111."

* Sgt David Mitchell from Walsall Road Police Station was set to meet concerned residents at a Neighbourhood Policing Meeting in Perry Hall Methodist Church, at 7pm, tonight.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Unbelieviable. When will something be done?