Fish aren't thick

I

Ian Cloke

Having a memory like a goldfish could actually be a good thing, says a Sydney scientist who has spent 10 years proving fish are not as dumb as we think.

Fish are not the bowl-circling dimwits we imagine and could be as socially able as monkeys and elephants, Dr Culum Brown of Macquarie University says.

The biology lecturer has spent the past decade putting fish through learning and memory tests, which he says shows they are much deeper thinkers than they look.

For a start, Dr Brown says the three-second memory of goldfish is a myth: "It's completely ridiculous that an animal could survive without a memory."

Fish are so clever, Dr Brown says, that those schooled in survival skills can even teach their captivity-raised peers how to get by in the sea.

To help prove his theories, Dr Brown put rainbow fish into a tank with a mock trawler net with a single hole and watched how long it took them to find an escape route.

"Without any prior experience the fish learned where the hole was in about five runs," he says.

A year later, the same fish managed to find the hole on their first try, which Dr Brown says shows they easily recalled the skills they had learned.

In another study, Dr Brown scared intertidal gobies from a rock pool and as they dived for safety found they plopped precisely in surrounding pools.

"This suggests that fish are able to form mental maps similar to those people use when planning a route to a familiar destination," he says.

Dr Brown also studies "social learning" among fish, where fish trained to recognise predators and wild food teach captivity-bred fish how to survive.

"Fish can be trained en masse and then used to train other fish," he says.

"What we've found is the latter groups of fish learn more rapidly when ... placed with trained fish."

The research could prove useful to the aquaculture industry, Dr Brown says.

Deanos

Reaction score
Why do they waste all this money on research? I used to watch ?flipper the dolphin?, it could talk and do everything?I thought everybody knew this!
Scientists are really stupid, they should just watch more telly!.

Deanos

Reaction score
"Billy the fish" was/is a great footballer!
If fish were stupid...they could not play football could they!
Scientists are really stupid, they should just read a few more comics!

I

Ian Cloke

"Why do they waste all this money on research? I used to watch ?flipper the dolphin?, it could talk and do everything?I thought everybody knew this!
Scientists are really stupid, they should just watch more telly!."

But, but, but, dolphins aren't fish ;0)

G

Grant Lever

fish certainly can learn from others even at a very early age,i went maggot drowning on the trent last week by way of a change, and got a sucked maggot every trot........

Deanos

Reaction score
Look, stop bloody nit picking Ian, flipper lived in the sea and scoffed other fish, so it must have been at least ?nearly a fish?.
You will be telling me next that ?Billy the fish? was in fact half man half fish and not really a fish at all, and that Skippy was not even a Kangaroo! :)))))).

G

Ged

Hey you guys, leave my cousin Billy out of this!
He's really a Merman.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Everytime I hear of Scientist doing research to prove fish are intelligent I suspect you know who are sponsoring it in the hope they can get an emminent expert to say, " If fish are intelligent enough to be trained...then they must be able to feel pain. Why do I aways suspect a hidden agenda these days?