Massive reservoir

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Thames Water have proposed a reservoir with a surface area of 4 square miles near Abingdon in Oxfordshire.

A cost of ?1b has been estimated.

Good idea or not?

captain carrott

Reaction score
where would they put it, i know the area and can't think of anywhere they would put something that size.

i've just looked you can't put one there it's nigh on flat.

W

Wolfman Woody

I told them years ago, they could put a giant earth dam across Loudwater and flood High Wycombe.

It would be one of the biggest improvement schemes ever.

Plus I'd have good fishing on my doorstep.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

...AND it would get rid of a load of terrorists

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
I work for Thames and just seen about the Res. on our intranet, it will be south west of Abingdon but we have,nt been given the exact location. I,ll let you know if I hear anything further.

R

There is a report on BBC News about it. They show vast tracts of land that will be covered and there is an interview with a worried farmer. Completion date is proposed in about 2019

Jeff, you will have to get your fly casting practiced as I doubt very much that it will be a coarse fishing reservoir.

R

4 square miles is 2560 acres which is about 1000 acres bigger than Grafham Water and about 800 acres smaller than Rutland Water, with depths down to 100 feet.

This is one huge chunk of water.

One comment is that it will only be big enough to compensate for all the leaks in Thames Water's reticulation system.

J

Jim Pullin

They have been talking about this for years and years. I for one won't be holding my breath.

B

Bully

There again it does replace all the ones they dried up and sold for property development.

I heard this morning they lose 800 milion litres a day!!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Just to please you they are planning to build wooden platforms around the edges and fill it with 1,000,000 pastie sized carp-like Drayton- and make it into the Uk's biggest carp hole! It will keep you in threads for the next 15 years.

W

Wolfman Woody

Great sport Peter!

Note for Mr Marzipan - cancel Clattercote for 2019, book Abingdon!

and I'll bet we still have fowl weather!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Have only been to Abingdon once. Will anyone notice when its flooded? It will probably look just like Carlisle did last year-but with more bites.