?4m proposal for fishing industry

I

Ian Cloke

Multi-million-pound plans were unveiled yesterday to revive west Norfolk's ailing fishing industry.

The ?4m proposals would see the quayside in King's Lynn modernised and extended and the Fisher Fleet refurbished. It is hoped the move will bolster Lynn's centuries-old fishing busi-ness and clear the path for water-side residential development.

West Norfolk council leader John Dobson said yesterday: "The most important benefit would be to support a local industry. I have held meetings with fishermen and I think they are quite excited by the proposals. They will bring the Fisher Fleet up to a proper standard and mean we can extend the quay and bring in deep water."

Council chiefs are hoping to win funding for the project from the East of England Development Agency and the European Union, while the council itself is ready to commit ?600,000.

Mr Dobson said: "The whole deal about this European money is that it has to be matched by public money. I think the project has a pretty good chance of going forward. The shellfish industry is on the up and up so the investment would help protect the future of the area's fishing."

The latest plans follow a council announcement last month of ?1m improvements to Brancaster quay.

More than 35 fishing boats use the Fisher Fleet, providing work for about 160 people.

The present quayside was built in 1959. It does not have the capacity for articulated lorries or other vehicles collecting catches.

The council report says: "The modernisation of the Fisher Fleet will benefit a long-established local industry that provides employment for skippers, crew-men and shore-based processing workers. It will assist the regener-ation of Lynn by upgrading fishing-harbour facilities.

"The Lynn fishermen are currently in the process of setting up a community co-operative to manage and maintain the extended quayside and also to maintain the new facilities."

It is hoped the new quayside would encourage fishermen to moor vessels away from Boal Quay, in South Lynn, which the council wants to redevelop for residential use.

The council report also said the project would safeguard local employment, stimulate economic growth, reduce pollution and protect the environment.

Councillors are due to discuss the proposals at a special cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

Members are recommended to approve match funding of up to ?600,000 towards the scheme.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Will it really cost this much to feed the Polish imigrants?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
How will this help the failing sea fish stocks. Putting more boats out is not the answer. The council want this to up the land prices for the residential developments that the locals would not be able to afford.