Short Rods - the new fashion?

dezza

Reaction score
I notice that TFG are pushing their range of short rods, mainly for carp and feeder fishing.

It wasn't so long ago that short quiver tip rods were all the rage. In fact in 1978, I was loaned a glass 8 foot quiver tip rod that performed a treat, especially for Trent roach on light tackle.

Maybe we should be considering such sort rods again. They would certainly be ideal for bream fishing in Fenland drains.

What do you think?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I suggest, generally speaking (as not all anglers have a full selection of rods) that most will put up rods to suit the situation and conditions when they arrive at the chosen swim...
I am fortunate to have a range of rods to call on and for my local water I would always take two types (I try to carry the minimum of gear) one,12' long and in case I go stalking in tight areas one of 9'....
I'm not saying this is the norm for everyone and the introduction of short rods may well be new too some but I've had short rods for many years-in fact mine are glass fibre which shows how old they are!
Oh,I forgot, I do have a 9' quiver tip rod but its hardly used as it doesn't offer much control over good fish in my opinion.

I have never found it necessary to go below 9' BUT I'm sure situations exist where shorter than this might be required and this new range may well offer alternatives to some...

dannytaylor

Reaction score
I think so, fox used to do a lovely little 6ft stalking rod called the bonsai, great for stalking in tight "jungle swims"

I dont think it is so much a fashion thing but just gives the angler more choice, as these shorter rods are just designed for a certain application not general fishing.

I do favour 7ft rods for my lure fishing and i also own a 2 piece 11ft float rod.

chav professor

Reaction score
Not the new fashion - but every one should own one for fun. I love my little 7ft winkle picker! had some good chub on it to 4lb11oz in a very tight swim - an old lock system. Anything bigger and you can't handle a fish because of the overgrown nature of the swim.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I like the range of rods available nowadays,particularly some of the shorter rods. For example the 11 ft so called "pellet wagglers" are fantastic little float rods with all sorts of applications....tight swims on rivers and lakes,perch,chub,...I've even use them as feeder rods.Brilliant.

And though the rod may be called a so and so dont be fooled. I have an 11ft "Carp Feeder" which I think may just be the most perfect all round lead/feeder rod I've ever owned on both lakes and rivers.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I recall it not being that long ago that short rods (less than 11ft) being very difficult to get hold of. I often fish small overgrown rivers that aren't much more than becks. I wanted a ten foot match rod for the job. I had the devils own job finding one at the time and it wasn't the highest quality in the world. In the past few years the market is awash with short rods, primarily aimed at the commercial angler. I've always shied away from using a short rod unless it was absolutely necessary. However, I suspect that I'll be trying 9-11ft "commercial" rods in the very near future.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Shorter feeder rods reflect the tightness of the pegs on commercials and the fact that long casting is rarely needed on many of them. A 12ft feeder rod - the modern standard length - is unwieldy and difficult to set up on the modern platformed (ughhh!) venue.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I have a 9ft feeder rod, a 10 ft shakey wand (cracking rod Cprky if you are wondering:wh), a 10 ft float rod, 8-10ft TFG all rounder and a 11,6-13ft feeder rod

all used for different swims, species