So where are the 'good'commercial fisheries?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
John Ledger reckons any thread about good commercial fisheries would be a short one. Sure, there are badly run ones (maybe these should be 'outed' on this site) but by the same token there are good, mature and feature packed waters, run by caring knowledgable owners, that have a mixed stocking policy, good facilities for able and disabled anglers and no stupid bans.
Anyone for naming names? Lets get it out in the open and name the worst and the best commercially operated fisheries your've visited, and say why you found them so.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Name the best and have them packed next time you go? Keep them to yourself and let others find them for themselves.

That's combined 2 thread in 1 - commericals and giving away info on the net.

What a good commercial should have might be a good thread -my opinion - 18 year old wenches in wet t-shirts and thongs serving good pies at low prices and free beer.

alan

Reaction score
mill farm - 3 lakes

shillinglee - big lake with lots of small ones connected to it

and the small place near me (i dont know the name) - not saying its all mine.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Good God, now good commercials are a secret to keep to yourself. If everybody is going to become paranoid about giving information away what's the point in this website? I wasn't taking about the fishing, merely the way the place is run, how it looks, what condition the fish are in, good facilites for the less able bodied.
I'll start the ball rolling. The best I have visited by far for all the aspects mentioned above is Ian Heap's beautiful creation, Holgan Farm, near Narbeth in Pembrokeshire.
Docklow Pools comes a close second as that has been left to nature since being created 30 plus years ago.
The worst which labels itself, god help us, the 'future of fishing' is Moorlands Farm near Kidderminster. Carp by the thousand packed into open, featureless rectangular pools with elevated wooden platforms, fish with knarled mouths,all designed to satisfy the match market. Not nice. Whitemore Fisheries near Kirkham and Cudmore is Staffs are very similar.

J

john ledger

It could be Paul but i have fished them and one of the best is Bank End Fisheries near Finningley If you fish the large lake which is an old gravel working and is not infested with the dreaded FI carp.
Its well managed well spaced out pegs the owner is a friend on mine and last but not least dare i say it
Ron Clay and myself used to fish it and enjoy it.
Sorry about that Ron
Well im not really,its true Paul not all are bad and they are a boon to disabled anglers like my friend Ian Cloke.
Me i just like to get people going

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Wasn't thinking of areas Graham. This is about letting those who do care about the finer aspects of fishing but nevertheless patronise the better run commercials have their say and be able to give owners, nationwide, who have created something to be proud of a pat on the back. It might also give a platform to those who have come across a particularly obnoxious version. Will accept that what may not be my cup of tea could be acceptable to another angler, but it's poor fish fishery management that needs to be exposed. As someone said on the previous thread that might be a way to improve standards all round.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
John - It's Lord Paul when you address me

Peter - I leave the house and make a 150 miles route to fish my favourite commerical(10 minutes from my home) just in case I'm beening followed and then change my clothes in the car so as to put off anyone watching - I also wear a Ronald Regan mask whilst fishing to keep my id secret and you think I'm gonna give it all away on here to you so you can catch the 5lb roach and 50ib carp - Think again my good man!!!

T

Terry Comerford

Hampstall Ridware Fishery Stafford.
Spring Lea Fishery Shropshire
Boldings Pools Shropshire.
Docklow Pools Hereford.
The Mill Little Tarrington Hereford
White Springs Swansea.
Fisherwick Lakes Tamworth
Furnace Mill Bewdley

Waveney One

Reaction score
I had a really good day on the Traditional Lake at Suffolk Water Park, near Ipswich last Monday. Great surroundings, cafe on site and 6 bream for 32lb plus a lot of smaller fish all on the pole. The waggler would have worked just as well, probably better, but I was doing a feature for Advanced Pole Fishing so the pole was a bit of a necessity!

There are a few carp to low doubles in the lake along with tench and bream that also go to low doubles! That is a good commercial with plenty of match sized carp on the other lakes!

J

john ledger

Sorry my Lord accept my humble apologies I will shine your boots as normal

J

john ledger

When i typed Paul i actually meant Peter Bishop,its an age thing you know

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As part of my species race I fished Todber Manor for the first time; superb surroundings and good fishing. I had quality crucians, goldfish, carp, tench and bream plus roach fishing a 4 acre lake. It's near Sturminster Newton in North Dorset.

Gold Valley near Ash Hants/Surrey border is good.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Is this what I have to look forward to in 10 years? I'll accept your confusion and grumpiness only if I can catch the size of fish you have and clearly still do!
PS. Any tips on good swims, (please mate or should I say Sir?) on your Yorkshire rivers....

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Comercials good axcess for disabled anglers? Yeah they would be. That's if you like fishing featureless deserts.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Right!!

Here's my ideal commercial water.

A big gravel pit, at least 30 acres.

It it would be stocked with roach, rudd, bream, perch, crucian carp and tench. Any common or mirror carp would be taken out, sold off or better still, ruthlessly destroyed.

A ring road around the lake would be created for good access and to help the disabled. Absolutely no platforms would be built, yet the banks would be levelled to make good fishable spots.

Rules:

Very few, mainly that all anglers use unhooking mats, no fish above say 5lbs allowed in keepnets and no angler allowed in one swim longer than 48 hours.

The lake would be landscaped "Capability Brown" style with lots of trees. each swim would have lots of lilies and rushes.

There would be a bar, cafe, conference centre and shop on site. There would also be a number of self catering chalets available.

This would be my ideal commercial water.

What think you?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Self catering chalets?????

No thanks I go fishing to get away from noisy, screaming, shouting, snotty nosed, ignorant, and badly behaved kids. And parents who tell them to go and sit with that nice angler over there while mummy and daddy go for a night out.
If that's what you want then piSS off to Butlins.