OAPs Fishing

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
As an OAP I do not fish on weekends (other than Fish-ins or odd days with the Grandchildren).

But it amazed me when I went down the boilie shop to see so many OAPs fishing on a Saturday ?

I had a word with the fishery owner ( an old mate) and asked if OAPs still got a concession at weekends, he said they did, but he was knocking it on the head for weekends.

I know there are lots of OAPs on here who will proberly say it's their right ?

But in my book, when you have the whole week to fish at cheap rates, why take up room on the banks, for those who are earning a living and only get weekends to fish ?

Bob

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
i am almost an oap but am retired through ill health, i only fish weekdays on the river as its rare to see anyone on the banks which suits me. there is a water local to me that is a superb general fishery with good roach, bream and tench it is hardly fished and most days you will only find 3 or 4 anglers on it [ its about 18 acres] the cost of fishing here is 30 or 40 pounds for 11 months fishing. some anglers who are members rarley fish the water but do walk round for a chat and a common moan is the cost of commercials, if they dont want to pay the price then dont fish there, they have a good water full of fish at a reasonable price on their doorstep, i think the reason they dont fish it is because they would sooner fish a commercial knowing they will "bag up". to answer the original question no they [we?] shouldnt get preferential treatment at weekends they have had all week to go fishing.

jollyboy

Reaction score
As an OAP I do not fish on weekdays (other than Fish-ins or odd days with the Grandchildren).

But it amazed me when I went down the boilie shop to see so many OAPs fishing on a Saturday ?

I had a word with the fishery owner ( an old mate) and asked if OAPs still got a concession at weekends, he said they did, but he was knocking it on the head for weekends.

I know there are lots of OAPs on here who will proberly say it's their right ?

But in my book, when you have the whole week to fish at cheap rates, why take up room on the banks, for those who are earning a living and only get weekends to fish ?

Bob

Bob.... What a well thought out level headed attitude...not everyone is that considerate when it comes to it

beerweasel

Reaction score
If anybody has the right to fish when they want to, it's those that have worked/fought for this country.
Although the way things are going we will be still working when we as old as Noah (sorry Moderator that's politics).

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I retired early, I have for the last 10 years chosen to fish weekdays only.

I leave the weekend for those who only get the opportunity to fish Saturday or Sunday.
The locations I fish are just right, no crowds, and with any luck have been pre-baited ;)
I am of Bob's view, if you want to fish with the crowd you pay the crowd rate.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I wish that all OAP's would go fishing at the weekends, especially those who, despite the fact that they cannot hit a golf ball, still insist on getting in front of me on my course at the weekends!!!!!

Ops, sorry, rant over, oo-eer, came over all unnecessary there for a moment, now, where were we . . . . . . . . . .

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Personally I wish that all OAP's would go fishing at the weekends, especially those who, despite the fact that they cannot hit a golf ball, still insist on getting in front of me on my course at the weekends!!!!!

Ops, sorry, rant over, oo-eer, came over all unnecessary there for a moment, now, where were we . . . . . . . . . .

mods - take action please - having a pop at OAP's is my gig:wh

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Wild horses wouldn't drag me to the waterside on a weekend.
I love going during the week - it's what I worked all those years and built up a pension for.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I'm not an OAP yet:D, fortunately, or the reverse, I have to work weekends, this gives me time of during the week, quieter fishing. There are some venues that I will go to even at weekends. Price is the same no matter when I go.
Remember, If a place is value for money and good fishing, pensioners will be there. They know a good deal.

flightliner

Reaction score
Go to any hairdresser midweek and the price is lower for a pensioner, there are however times when they can only go on a saturday. Same applies to them fishing also.As a point of interest.
An elderly angling friend of mine gathered together six likewise anglers and over a three week period they "hit" on a commercial that was very un used midweek, the sport suited them and they paid a reduced fee.
Come the fourth week they asked the owner for a further reduction and were politely refused so they said they were going somewhere else for the remaining six weeks of the season, he immedietly told them that if they said nothing to others using the place they could fish for a further 50p less. They took him up on the offer making their last day a freebie!
Power to the pensioners I say!

The Monk

Reaction score
I`ve always been a great believer in euthanasia for the old, but as I quickly approach my 60th birthday I`m not so sure its a good idea afterall

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I also only fish during the week in the high summer months but also fish the occasional saturday during the winter when most have given up....

It certainly is special during the week and almost always I have the water to myself-pure heaven in my book!
On waters that are very busy at week ends I leave it to those who work and have limited time....I think thats only fair..but as much for my peace of mind as well!!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

-----

I wonder !!

Bob

watatoad

Reaction score
Well, I'm in my 60's and I try to get fishing as often as I can weekdays, weekends all the time and any chance I get.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I don't mind oaps fishing at anytime they take up a peg but that's it ( unless they fall in then they're a new feature) but I strongly urge anyone under the age of 45 not to go into a large supermarket on a Wednesday morning. You will want to kill an awful lot of old people just wandering and indeed blocking the isles.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I strongly urge anyone under the age of 45 not to go into a large supermarket on a Wednesday morning. You will want to kill an awful lot of old people just wandering and indeed blocking the isles.

Not just on flippin Wednesdays...and not just old people either ! Why oh why do people who have all day,everyday to go shopping leave it until 5-6 pm or Sat'dy am to rake over the "reduced for quick sale" bin ? They drive me flippin nuts ! :mad::mad: .

A lot of them drive like that as well. I do not necessarily mean slowly either...I mean with no concept of the presence of any other sentient being.And dont get me started on "Old Boys" fishing. Where do they go to when I'm not there ? Its like a mayfly hatch as soon as I get me rods out.

I have told Mrs S that the second I start behaving like this she is to divorce me forthwith.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

---------

I wonder if they can't hit a golf ball ?

Having had the misfortune to work on Golf Courses most of my life, the Old Boys could be a bit slow, but at least they kept it on the track and called you through !!

On Saturdays in France the Whole Family went out, Ladies, Men and Kids and knowone thought a lot about it !

Caddy Shack !!

Bob