Jan Porter Rig

P

Phil Hatton

I read about this somewhere this week, can anyone enlighten me as to what it is.

P

Phil Hatton

Possibly,
it was in an article about barbel fishing, I think it was this months CF, a piece about Yorkshire Rivers. It was mentioned in the context of being a 'safe' rig.

Beecy

Reaction score
Lee Swords also mentioned it in the Angling Star, and I too was wondering what it was.

Lee ?

R

Robert Woods 1

Is it the loop one ie series of smaller loops in mainline with feeder running in largest one. Smaller loops act as an anti tangle rig.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
No, I think you will find that it is basically a tail rubber and run ring or Large bore swivel(a la Korda)set up to a swivel then your rig off the other end of the swivel-either Quick change,Gemini clip(my favourite)or tied direct.

put on the run ring(john roberts or similar) then the tail rubber then tie on a swivel (or Gemini clip as i do)and pull the rubber down onto it so that the swivel dissapears inside and the run ring then slides onto the tail rubber until tight,very safe and provides a cheap way of bolt rigging without the need for too many gizmos also easily pulled away from the rubber in the event of a break off

hope that explains it
Regards Matt

G

Gary Knowles

thats it.

I have a picture if anyone wants to see it. I'll send it to Graham.

The most importantt hing is it is safe, unlike the 'safety clip' used for carp fishing which is a tether rig for anything under about 15lbs....

P

Phil Hatton

Thanks for the info Matt, I'll give it a try. Gary,I would like to see a pic, if possible, just to make sure I get it right.

G

Gary Knowles

Phil - I've sent details to Graham - they should be online soon.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've used the rubber sleeves like that for an easy release bolt effect for ages now with feeders and weights.

I do however confess to not having the idea myself, I forget for sure but it may have been on here and suggested by Graham.

If I want a no fuss presentation it is ideal, cheap and effective. Also it is less intrusive as it contains almost as few bits as you could possibly use.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Seem to remember Woody saying something about it and ive used it a bit since then.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
those 'quick release' carp rig lead fittings work if you trim the bit that goes into the lead swivel - it comes off much more easliy when needed. Not that I work for Korda or anything, i much prefer the rig discussed on this thread...

T

Thalia

Gary - "The most important thing is it is safe, unlike the 'safety clip' used for carp fishing which is a tether rig for anything under about 15lbs...." - if I'm not mistaken the sort of rig you refer to in this comment is fairly typical of those that have been widely touted throughout this forum?

I personally don't fix my lead completely - I leave it free running for a short length but have a Drennan float stop above it. Also saw that on here first but as usual always question what I'm doing and worry that a break above this stop would leave a fish tethered?

Mind you, I never have anything on that big anyway...........

T

Thalia

One other thing - in the photograph of the JP rig it appears to me that the clip link is reversed as opposed to the pencil drawing beneath it. Would this not hinder its slipping off the tail rubber seeing as the in-turned part of the clip is possibly catching on the tail rubber?