How many gather or collect there own bait?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

beerweasel

Reaction score
I know a couple of chaps with allotments, so Cabbage White caterpillars and Slugs are in abundance, occasionally Leather Jackets. Great Chub Grub :D

noknot

Reaction score
Yeah still make my own boilies, as we can't buy them here, been making them for well over 20 years now, I use a nice base mix (Marukyu Big in yhe UK now so I hear from Japan) and spice it up a little, Carp fishing is not popular out here, so getting ingredients is not easy, particles are easy to get and cheap, so I fish a mix.....

Last edited:

jollyboy

Reaction score
I know a couple of chaps with allotments, so Cabbage White caterpillars and Slugs are in abundance, occasionally Leather Jackets. Great Chub Grub :D

Now were talking Sausages:thumbs: People do tend to forget the power of the slug when fishing for chub....its like they know just what that plop is when it hits the water and just cant resist

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Yeah still make my own boilies, as we can't buy them here, been making them for well over 20 years now, I use a nice base mix (Marukyu Big in yhe UK now so I hear from Japan) and spice it up a little, Carp fishing is not popular out here, so getting ingredients is not easy, particles are easy to get and cheap, so I fish a mix.....

Interesting I am just going to have to look at all threads by noknot now and see if there is anything different to read:D

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Interesting I am just going to have to look at all threads by noknot now and see if there is anything different to read:D

Ok Maybe not:D

noknot

Reaction score
---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Ok Maybe not:D
Arhhhhhhhh But did you read my article on hookbaits???;)

http://www.fishingmagic.com/index.php?news=15005

Last edited:

tortoise100

Reaction score
I have an evolving boilie/paste mix in the freezer that is waiting for its next blitz and remake there are about four different home made boiles in it as well as around three shop boughts .

You never know what the fish are going to want but I can garentee they will have had nothing like mine before.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Other than elderberries, when in season, I don't bother these days.

I used to dig my own worms but now prefer to get them from the tackle shop.

Once upon a time, when living in Norway, I used to scrape bloodworm from a couple of ponds that I had close to the house, but soon that little 'edge' was lost in the matches too.

I don't count my days of boilie making as I don't think it qualifies as bait being 'gathered or collected'

[insert smiley thing > > > > > > > > HERE]

jollyboy

Reaction score
I used to dig my own worms but now prefer to get them from the tackle shop.
Don't get me wrong as I proberbly buy more these days than gather...however there is just something about catching a fish of bait collected ya self.. The only thing I will not try again is Maggots....didn't I make a mess of that one:eek:

quickcedo

Reaction score
I would say 99% of all my bait and feed is homemade. Usually pastes and boilies. Though I can be found with a red light out on the right night worming.