Most useless gadget youv'e ever bought?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Lets face it chaps we are all, to one extent or another, tackle shop junkies. See that new gizzmo or wonder bait on the shelf and you just have to buy it.
Spent the afternoon in the garage sorting out my gear. God, I've bought some crap in the past which has just never got used or didn't deliver the promised benefit-or more fish. Whats the most useless piece of kit you've ever bought or bait that never brought any fish to the bank?

W

Wolfman Woody

Damn!

I had it in mind to write an article on that very subject. I'm putting it all on one side to photograph and was hoping to have it ready for when GM gets back.

I'll give you one, what I intended to begin with because this is what reminded me about this junk.

It's a stalking belt by Chub that I've had 3 years now.

Good quality, but I never used it until the day of the Junior Academy and it simply got on my nerves. I shan't use it again.

Joskin

Reaction score
electric hook tier.

Cost me ?15 and its a pile of crap

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Sorry about that Woody! Still do it though mate because everyone can relate to it.
Amongst my worst buys are an automatic shot dispenser that actually splits the tiny shot and fixes to the line (Crap too fiddly), A 'Ezfeeda' catty device which is no better than any other catty. A Penrose pole support which weighs the same as a scaffold bar and is about as easy to fix to your box legs, a box of sponge feeders which are suppose to retain maggots so they crawl out one at a time! I could go on... I need tackle shop victim support!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Years ago I bought a depth finder, its attached to the line like a float and its never seen the light of day, Why does a fisherman need a depth finder to fish a float? Think I must have been on the pop.

G

Ged

My wife says fishing tackle. You only need a garden cane, string and a worm.
I've not actually bought anything useless as regards tackle, but I have some pressents that I never use.
As with Graham, a depth finder or sliding float type thingy. Don't know how to use it.
Pole top organiser. For putting made up pole tops with rigs to hand. My pole tops don't fit the dam thing.
I did buy a chair with rod rest attatchment, the chair is great, the rod rest useless.

G

Ged

Just remembered, fake floating bread.
Floats well, casts well but DOES NOT CATCH FISH. Well not when I use it. (Even rubbed in normal bread)

W

Wolfman Woody

Perhaps I shouldn't say this in these terror-stricken times when law enforcment agencies are looking in but:

Anyone bought any bomb making equipment?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I did buy a variety of "bomb" moulds once. Ran out of molten lead and burnt me hands far too often to make it worthwhile though!

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry Neil - I should point out - they were GROUNDBAIT bombs.

Ok Officer Crabtree? Take the cuffs off now.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I once went to great lengths to try and get the "recipe" for some heavy groundbait (to sink like a stone but break up very quickly - many years ago - before the zillions of packets now available).

Offered good money for it and eventually got it. Sank like a stone alright, then came right on back to the surface and drifted on down with the flow!

I had good mates back then - b*****ds!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

A Matchman spade end hook tier.

It ties the wrong damn knot!!

G

Grant Lever

Milbro-lesney bread bait press,...put piece of bread in,screw it down,screw it back up and there you have it...2 flattened rectangles of bread with a neat hole in the middle to put hook in.....

G

Geoff Cowen

Korum chair with all the bolt on bits - what a load of rubish!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
A second Silstar 17' rod.
The first was so I could fish a heavier rig if carp moved into a swim I was fishing with a M.A.P.17-footer, but why the hell did I get the second??

blankety blank

Reaction score
An aerosol containing dry ice. Supposed to be used for deadbaiting. The idea was that you could blast-freeze softer baits (like sardines) before hooking them, making them easier to cast. I paid about 8 quid for it!

The bloke in the shop must have seen me coming! Of course I had to have a tin.

It was complete rubbish but quite fun. One of my mates was leaning over in the boat pulling up a mudweight, and exposing an expanse of "builder's arse". It was too tempting to resist, so out came the dry ice.

I can still hear the scream now.....

W

Wolfman Woody

Note to Korum: Delete Geoff Cowan's name from Christmas/birthday card list.

:eek:)

J

Jim Pullin

A truly vast "bargain" carp rod holdall that weighs a ton even without rods, takes up all the room in my garage and is big enough to sleep inside. The only use it's ever been is to provide me with lots of velcro straps which I cut out of it and use as rodbands with my very practical and light quiver which does the same job much, much better.