Rod Blanks

E

Eddy Garrett

Can anyone tell me where I can get cheap rod blanks? Preferably under ?50 and 1.5 TC.

Thanks

C

Carp Angler

Ask most rod manufacturers, they import them for the far East for betwenn ?7 and ?15 depending on size and quality.

R

Rob Brownfield

Eddy, North Western Blanks do some nice 1.5 tc full carbon blanks for under ?50. They are really rather good, but because they arnt the "in rods" then nobody seems to use them. I have the 1.25 and 1.75 versions...and have had for 15 years, and they are still as good as the day I made them!

ps. U can get them in 11 and 12 foot...the 11 footers being slightly stiffer.

E

Eddy Garrett

Thanks
Rob, do North Western balnks have a website so that i can get more info?

J

John Howard

North western Blanks are available from Fosters of Birmingham Tel 0121 344 3333. The 12ft 1.5lbtc costs approx ?53.00. this is for just the blank no handle. John

R

Rob Brownfield

John, is that for the bog standard Carbon, or the more expensive Kevlite?? I seem to recall the Kevlites being about ?55...good rods like...brillient Barbel and stalking rods

R

Rob Brownfield

Eddy, i just thought, if you are wanting a good quality, but cheap rod blank, you could do far worse than go for a North Westrn AC2 Tench rod. They are glass fibre, but are cracking rods. Infact, both the old bream and tench records were taken on AC2's. They are 11 foot with a 1.25 tc. The last ones I got were...wait for it...?15 each for the blanks. I think they are ?22 now. Good to practice your building skills on :eek:)

C

Chris Bishop

I had some of those 12' 1.75 tc rods for years - used them for tench, carp etc when I used to fish for them, sometimes for zander. They were good kit, lively through-ish action, very robust and not too heavy.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris...yip..i remember North Westerns being THE rods to have...the old SS6a's for long range work etc...wonderful stuff!!

I have 8 various rods built on NW blanks, and they are all brillient!

J

John Howard

its for the standard carbon the kevlar carbon were dearer but cant remember how much. they are not in stock and have to be ordered John

J

John Howard

Rob if I remember rightly the AC2's were 1.75lbt.c I had 3 when they first came out great rods and made me a life long devotee of north western John

S

Steve Burke

John, I seem to recall that the AC"s were 1?lbs. I agree with you they were great rods, and we made quite a few for customers. I think one of my former rodbuilders still has some AC2s in amongst his stock of glass and E-glass blanks.

R

Rob Brownfield

Aye, AC2's were 1 1/4. They were designed for Tench and Bream. I think it was the AC6 that was 1 3/4. I have one of those too. I landed a 22 pound pike on that one :eek:)

Its strange how North Western has kind of gone into decline. It was about the only company selling Carp blanks at one stage, along side Tricast. (remember the 2 1/2 tc long range carp rods from them?)

J

John Howard

my apoligies it was ac6... eating humble pie grovel grovel.Just put it down to age John

J

John Howard

Rob I will have another go SS6 fast taper 2.5lbtc. Even with a spliced butt it was 1 1/8in dia the only reel fitting was the fuji clamp that had to be whipped in place. I remember a 6lb bream that took line off me fought like a tiger on this rod.

R

Rob Brownfield

Lol..wonderful stuff!

I remember when i got a pair of 12 foot 1 and 3/4 tc carbons from them. They were and still are the beez kneez for close in work and leads up to 2 ounces and 80 yards. Brillient

E

Eddy Garrett

Are North Western any good for fittings. Is there a price list I can get from anywhere?

R

Richard Drayson

Best place I know for rod fittings is Hopkins & Holloway.