Am I Becoming A Tackle Tart?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
When I got back into this fishing lark a couple of years ago, I promised myself I would not go overboard with the tackle again. Just a couple of rods and reels, a small shoulder bag and a few bits and pieces.

Since January I've bought myself:

A 13m pole, a Fox box (with a variety of strange looking bolt ons!), a couple of rods (at the CLA Game Fair), a new Okuma Sheffield 'pin and most recently a Shimano Stradic ("cheap" in The States whilst on holiday).

Help....!!!!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Having convinced myself I am two, possibly three different types of angler depending upon my mood, I have ended up buying three differnt sets of tackle.
For my club waters and occasional visits to (whisper it quietly now less Ron should hear) commercials, I have two poles, box with all the attachments, holdall and carryall etc. However, a heart attack several years ago taught me to be discerning about the amount of gear I carry.
Then, for my excusions to big fish waters and rivers, I have an assortment of feeder, barbel and float rods plus several reels, a seat, carryall ,rod quiver and bait bags etc. The full blown carp gear was sold off some years ago.
Finally, every so often I regess into my childhood and enjoy sitting on a basket, using a Richard Walker Mk1V Avon rod paired with an Allcocks match Aerial and crowquill float just to see if I can still catch and feel like Bernard Venables in his heyday. Probably, I just look a plonker but I don't care any more.
Thus, I am probably the ultimate tackle tart-all the gear no idea-and with multiple (well, three) angling personalities to boot!

G

Ged

Onebag set up with hopefuly, some river tackle. Not yet fished a river since early ninties.
Carp tackle which I used only yesterday.
Pike tackle including spinners and plugs and dead bait traces.
Course gear. Box with attatchments, pole pod etc. Feeder rod, pole and two match rods, one for tench and small carp, coupled with holdall for all accessories including small pellet pump (large pellet in garage and is the one I use most).
Plus rod holdall.
I have twi brollies, one 50 inch for couse and one 45 inch for carp (pike and river if I ever go).
And yet I still blank.
What ever happend to a big stick, string and a worm?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Peter, I agree totally!

I still go out with a little shoulder bag, a rod, reel and a few bits and really enjoy it, roving about on my local river or an evening session after the carp on the top. Love it!

I would also love to do the "Bernard Venables" bit but I sold/gave away <u>All</u> my gear back in 1988 (convinced I would never go back to fishing).

I get enough weird looks when I fish for Carp and Barbel with a centrepin as it is!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Jesus Ged, you are worse than me! A proper tackle tart. So who is it that convinces us that we need a different type of tacke for each type of coarse fishing? Maybe this fly business wouldn't be that expensive after all...

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Oh! I forgot!

While on holiday (and yet another trip to "Bass Pro") I bought one of those Fly Fishing type waistcoats - millions of pockets, half rings and clips suspended from everywhere and bits of fluff stuck on with velcro. US$14 (very reasonable) - might come in useful one day!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Since January I've bought myself:
A 13m pole, a Fox box (with a variety of strange looking bolt ons!), a couple of rods (at the CLA Game Fair), a new Okuma Sheffield 'pin and most recently a Shimano Stradic ("cheap" in The States whilst on holiday)."

Nah. You're all still learning.

Old tackle tart's saying "It's not the need, it's the want!"

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Well let's see.

6 float fishing rods in different lengths and power to 20 feet. Drennan, and Map makes

6 Barbel rods, all by Harrison from light barbel quivers up to 2 x Chemiras.

2 x FM Concepts, 1 x Sulis Avon, 1 x Drennan light quiver.

2 x Daiwa 2 1/2 TC rods for piking

1 x Daiwa 14.5 metre pole with 5 top kits.

A vast number of fixed spool reels, most Shimano, too numerous to count.

3 Abu and 1 Shimano baitcasting reels

2 centrepin reels both by JW Young

A Fox Match box for use with my pole.

Two chairs, 2 bivvies and a brolly with storm sides.

A variety of landing nets, keep nets, keep sacks etc.

Two rucksacks and a bag/seat combo

16 fly rods, mainly Greys, Hardys and custom built on Harrison Blanks

Fly reels too numerous to count

Fly lines too numerous to count.

All sorts of other bits including fly tying materials I have collected over 30 years. A Griffin fly vice.

And I'm not a tackle tart!

captain carrott

Reaction score
30 rods at the last count, about 20 reels.
and a whole wardrobe full of the other gubbins.

an i'm not a tart i just do lots of different fishing styles and methods.

the one thing i would say is if you think you're a tart you probably are.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
i used to be before i went abroad. Now i have very little i have 2 rods 1 reel 1 box 1 pole....oh and 3 asda carrier bags....catch plenty of fish with that though LOL

I really need to start buying things again :)

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Wow Ron, thats the entire stock of Fosters in Birmingham. I'm not even on the starting blocks.Do you have a annexe to the house or several spare rooms?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

You haven't seen anything until you visit Graham's or Peter Jacob's place.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
One of the chaps who works in my fields Ivor stealafishabit, wants to know is he a tacket tart because he has 2 tin cans with string and hooks attached - he would like me to point out that both cans are coca cola - he will not use cheap supermarket brand tins for his fishing. The string is the top end product from B and Q. The plastic carrier bags he takes the fish home in are John Lewis - he will not use any cheap Tesco bags.

He is saving up to buy a orange box from Sainsbury's for his fishing seat.

W

Wolfman Woody

"You haven't seen anything until you visit Graham's or Peter Jacob's place."

You're right there, Ron. Compared to Peter's place, Graham's double garage full of the stuff looks rather spartan. Mind you, he does tend to give away all his best barbel rods to FM members, but that's Graham for you - generous to a fault.

I think it might be wrong to say Peter's place - more correct to say Peter's places. There's home, there's a garage full and don't forget the rented warehouse!

David Craine

Reaction score
I didnt think I was a Tackle Tart until I read this thread.... now I know I am...sod it.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Piscatorial Schizophrenia - a condition suffered by approximately seventy three percent of anglers with twenty five or more years' experience. Symptoms include general confusion and an increasing inability to decide which rod/reel to use, resulting in significant losses of precious fishing time.

I'm with Peter on this one. I have to retain more or less duplicate sets of tackle to suit my split personality. There's a dozen or so cane rods - float, carp, spinning and fly - and a similar selction of glass ones. I even have a few carbons now. Which ones I use depend on what mood takes me. If I am feeling philosophical it will be the canes, couple with either an old centrepin or a Hardy Altex; if on the other hand I have my efficient head on I will unashamedly use whatever glass or carbon rod is best suited to the task.

Trout fishing follows a similar pattern; some days it will be an eighty year old Hardy rod and vintage reel, other times I use a graphite rod and modern reel.

Many times this season I have sat behind a pair of carbon carp rods mounted on Optonics (and frequently blanked); last time out I used a split cane MkIV and caught a lovely nine pound common on crust. In fact, tomorrow I think I'll sit on the old basket with a Wallis Wizard and Aerial Popular and see what happens...

Y

yoggy

Neil,you are not alone mate.I dare not list my entire collection of fishing equipment incase "insiders" [you know who you are!!!]grass me up to the Missus.

I keep my collection under lock and key in a shed at the bottom of my garden.

My Missus NEVER goes in there!!!

Fishing equipment is addictive.I just cant help myself!!.

At a last count i had 33 reels!!

Yep..i`m a tackle tart!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Who said the Tackle Trade is at a low ebb??

Yoggy, similar predicament but I must say when I treated myself to the Shimano Stradic in The States (a true luxury), my wife was with me and insisted I buy it.

Mind you, all became clear a couple of days later when she bought a pair of western boots for approx twice the price of the reel!!