Split shot?

F

Fred Bonney

It's becoming a big gripe for me.
Is it me,or is split shot,just not suitable?
As I've gone back to float fishing a great deal more.I'm finding line damage and having to keep reshotting, after every tussle,just too much.
Any suggestions,is it the manufacturer or are there alternatives, you use?
I'm certain I never had these problems, in the 'good old days', of lead shot.

W

Wolfman Woody

Who's shot are you using Fred?

I'm afraid I will only use Dinsmores now, GM has a review to publish on their Egg shot. I swear by it and have done since Egg came out and was using their other shot long before that.

They also do one called Cushion Shot that is coated three times with a green resin. This is supposed to protect the line even further. I find it a harder shot to apply and standard tin shot is harder than the old lead.

F

Fred Bonney

Jeff, it is Dinsmore I'm having the trouble with.It just seems to ping off the line, every time I get a decent tussle from a fish.
Especially since, I've stopped biting them shut!!!
I use a Flourotec hooklength, by the way.

I'm just trying out the Egg shot now.

W

Wolfman Woody

If it's a fluorocarbon line I'd be very careful about damaging it anyway. Also thicker lines (over .23mm) don't hold shot very well unless you really pinch them hard on. That defeats the object of pinchign them on as lightly as possible so you can move them.

So people recommend cutting small sections of silicone tubing and feeding them onto your line then wrapping the shot around them. You would then have to know how many shot you'd need to put the correct number of tubing sections on your line.

Someone once said they were toying with the idea of wrapping a small piece of cling film around the line first. Clip the shot on hard, the film protects the line, then you can rip away the unwanted bit of the film. Sounded messy to me, but the theory sounded good so perhaps someone should make protective silicon pads.

Another money making suggestion that will sell provided it has a Fox on it, no doubt.

W

Wolfman Woody

BTW, I lose more no 8 and no 10 lead shot than soft Mick. Damned stuff pings off the line whilst you look at it.

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Glad to hear more experienced anglers than me are having to same trouble, I thought it was me being ham fisted. I was using Anchor shot but I,ve changed to Dinsmores which seem a little better. Fred, I agree about the old lead shot, once you put it on, it stayed there for the day, I,ll be interested to see how you get on with the Egg shot,

E

EC

I use dinsmores but only on my mainline. I use both 6 & 4 LB maxima and also Drennan specimen + and floatfish in 3 & 4LB strengths and do not have any serious problems! Yes, the odd shot does ping off, but thats about it.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Just shows you doesn't it, I won't use Dinsmore because of the very problem Fred has got and I only use Anchor preferably the pro XS version when I can get them.

I try to avoid putting any shot on the line other than No.8's, my waggler set up doesn't involve any bulk shot on the main line whatsoever only No8 droppers, if you use chubbers bulk some No8's and mould some Korum heavy rig putty round them, the same for the dropper.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just in relation to the article and away from shot - what did you think of the Dynamite Soft Pellets, Fred?

I updated my review because whereas I first liked them, subsequently I fell out with them. (perhaps worse to keep on your hook than you have keeping shot on your line.) I still find the fish like them, but I really only fish them now on a very short whip where I can simply drop them into the water. When they do stay on - the fish love 'em!

F

Fred Bonney

I was quite impressed with their immediate reaction from fish Jeff,to my knowledge they had not seen them before on my lake.
I've only used them on waggler tackle, with an underarm flick cast, and they stayed on ok.
I've used the 6mm(?)original amino and the green ones on a size 14, most of the time.
After a very short while, I've gained confidence in their use.

W

Wolfman Woody

I just wonder why they can't use the same pellets as do Mistral Squidgy and Mainline, they have a very fibrous texture. These would stay on no matter how hard you cast them.

It must be a fairly common compound because I've just bought some dog food (maybe another useful carp bait - I'm testing it) that's the same. You just can't tear it so I would bet it will stay on the hook.

I know the Dynamite pellets hold better if you hook them through the round section and not through the flat. I just wished I had more confidence that I could either cast them or ship one out every time on the pole.

The flavours obviously work.

Beecy

Reaction score
Ive totaly abandoned shot above number 8's as I have tried most and think they are all crap.

these days I use mainly loaded wagglers and use preston stotz wich are excellent.

(I must also admit to having a sneaky tub of good old lead shot in my box, in case of emergency !, got them in Holland)

I

Ian Cloke

Have you tried Stotz Fred?? Pinch 'em on with a pair of styl pliers(or whatever they are called) and away you go;))

F

Fred Bonney

Not yet Ian.
I've also been pointed in the direction of Sensas weights.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
I've also been using stotz too and have been really pleased with them. Go and get some and you will not be disappointed.

Danny.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Thanks for that Beecy, I went to get some No.8 shot last week but he only had Stotz and I wasn't sure if they were lead and I tend to move my shot about a lot when float fishing so I need lead.

Can you open and close these Stotz shots with your fingers or must you use styl pliers?

Beecy

Reaction score
I use my teeth Graham ! although they are plenty soft enough for fingers.

they slide on the line lovely because the bottom of the spilt is rounded, 'U' shaped rather than a 'V'

the only slight fault with them is that because of the rounded bottom, the outside closes further than the inside (if you see what I mean?)so they are difficult to open with the finger nail and you have to use a blade. dont let this put you off though, they are superb.

have a look in the reveiw bit on here, a few others say the same as me.

If you do get some, one thing I would advise is tip them out of the dispenser and wet them and leave them overnight to dull as they are a bit shiny for my liking fresh out of the tub.