Born agin' Pike angler

B

Barry Kneller

Hi All

Having been doing a bit of lure fishing over the last few weeks I've been bitten by the bug again - as I haven't done any bait fishing for pike for at least 18 years I could do with teaming up with someone out there with a bit more up to date experience. Is there a list member in my area (Basildon - Essex)who may be prepared to give a 'born again piker' a little help with modern tackle & methods.

Thanks & regards

Barry

B

Ben Lovell

Hello,

I don't mind teaming up with you! I live in the Dagenham area so don't know whether thats a little too far from you? There are some great pike waters near me though!

Email me - ben@benlovell.co.uk

R

Rob Brownfield

Get yaself down to The Warren in Stanford le Hope....craking pike and carp water!!

B

Barry Kneller

Thanks Rob, I've heard that there are some good fish there - I'll give it a go.

B

Barry Kneller

Went Piking at Aquatels today - caught my first bait caught Pike for 18 yrs - 12lbs & fought like a tiger.

It was a great feeling to know that I could still do it.

It's nice to be back!

B

Ben Lovell

whats going to happen to aquatels is it shutting down???

I have heard a few things about it.. it's supposed to be a great carp lake also.

B

Barry Kneller

Tony Prayel's Aquatels lease runs out tomorrow. I was talking to one of the Bailiffs today & they don't know who has the lease - all sorts of rumours ranging from 'they are going to fill it in' to 'it's been taken over by the Carp Society and it will be exclusively for CS members'. Its anybodies guess at the moment.
I for one will continue to fish it until they put a fence around & lock the gates.

When the lake was first dug out the owner wanted it to be season ticket or syndicate only but I believe that when Basildon Council gave planning permission they insisted that it be available for local rate-payers on day ticket - if so, this should still apply.

It's a brilliant water - Carp to over 30, (2 30's in the last month or so) Bream to about 8lb, Tench to 9lb (there was an unconfirmed rumour of an 11 lber last summer)Roach to 2lb & Pike to 30lb. Its very clear, weedy & hard but there are lots of features.

B

Ben Lovell

sounds good! we will have to have a visit of it together after this weekend at warren :)

B

Barry Kneller

Ben
If you can get down to The Warren a bit earlier on Sat - about 1pm - afterwoods we can go over to Aquatels for a look around.
I'll sling a lure rod in the car.

R

Rob Brownfield

All this talk of The Warren is making me homesick!! I left Essex for Scotland 15 years ago and i miss the Carp, Tench, Bream and Pike there. I caught my first Carp there, my biggest Tench, and infact, my first ever fish, a Rudd in The "Little" Warren over the back....wonderful memories!!