a little bit of help

paul chester

Reaction score
CAN ANYONE HELP, FISHING A OLD SAND PIT THIS WINTER JUST UNDER 20 ACRES THE BOTTOM IS ALL OVER 3FT ON BARS TO 27FT IN SOME PLACES, HAD A FEW PIKE TO JUST UNDER 16lb ON PLUGS, WEED NEARLY TO SURFACE BUT THAT WILL DIE BACK FOR WINTER, HOW WOULD YOU EXPERTS PRESENT DEAD BAITS, SEEM TO GET MOST TAKES FROM OPEN WATER NOT MARGINS, THE LAKE IS VERY CLEAR ASWELL, ANY ADVICE WOULD BE VERY WELCOME!!!
AND HELO TO EVERYONE I'M PAUL_C (NEW MEMBER), CHEERS

Dutchy

Reaction score
Paul i've just seen your question while browsing through the threads(articles),i've just asked a similar question to yours, the type of water, depths etc; and if you go through the threads and click on my question (Dead Baits/dutchy),the answer i recieved may be of help to you.
Good luck.....

M

mark williams 4

Round here, we have brick pits - very deep, limited margin fishing.

What works is deadbaiting, especially freelined and popped-up with a bit of polystyrene or, if you're eco-friendly, some bits of cork tile.

I also did a bit on the site about deadbait 'lifebelts' - find it somewhere in rigs.

As with all popped-up methods, the key is getting some balance into the rig - stuff your chosen dead, then clip swanshot or lead strip on to the trace wire (less likely to get damaged) until it all sinks quite slowly.

Don't worry about not being able to tighten up - just wind a slowly for a bit until something snags the shot/lead.

With a balanced rig you can present deads on top of weed. And I know pike have a reputation for being a bit thick, but I've had enough dropped runs when using leger rigs to convince me otherwise.

The simplicity of the rig is such that you can cast it well, and accurately. Pumping a bit of fish oil into the bait doesn't do any harm.

As has been said, the fish may stay out in deeper water during the day but at some time, especially dusk and dawn, they'll come right in. Be very stealthy - pike are astonishingly wary when close to the bank.