Areas of rivers, lakes and canals which are devoid of fish......

E

EC

Many rivers and canals have their own specific 'cyanide' length, an area apparently devoid of fish, yet often enclosed between productive areas which have no visible differences from 'the dead length'.

I know of a lake with an area described as 'No carp corner' or 'No carp bay' the bay itself is possibly 3 or 4 acres and always has available swims!

What creates these apparently barren areas?

Subtle differences in the ecology of the area, substrate or water quality, or is it sometimes just pure angling myth?

P

Phil Hackett The original disability bad speller w

It's also the deepest part of the lake as well Eddie!

P

Because nobody catches when they fish it Eddie.
But that could be said for the whole of the water for some who fish it! lol.

E

EC

It probably would be described as a difficult water Phil, but why is it that any one area is perceived as being any more difficult than another?

P

Many factor contribute to this Eddie and in no particular order
Ph, water chemistry, water depth, bed composition (silt, sand, gravel, clay, etc) food supply (invertebrate distribution, molluscs, bloodworm, etc) weed, algae, light distribution, wind direction speed, air pressure, air temperature, water temperature, time of year, Oxygen levels.
And they just for starters off the top of my head.

captain carrott

Reaction score
they are easy to identify, if you see me fishing some where it means you have just found one.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Its one of those fishy mysteries Eddie and not really explainable unless you are a fish.

I know, and I'm sure others know, of stretches of river where I can guarantee I will catch fish, I can even say what I'm going to catch and on what bait and how big. By the same token I know of stretches just like you say, barren, in fact I've fished a couple lately like that. Something holds fish in an area, food, maybe the state of the bottom or lack of predators I dunno but its a fact and theres no getting away from it.

matt

Reaction score
Quite often these dead areas on carp lakes will produce big hits when the lake has been under prolonged pressure.

Otherwise in my experience they produce odd fish for a short period when a fresh wind is favourable but in these cases the fish won't hang around for long.

I once went swimming in such an area and found a pronounced thermocline, and foul smelling silt devoid of life.