Chris Yates New Book

Blunderer

Reaction score
"How to Fish" by the great man himself is published, I believe, on 28th September.

I go away on a long, dull holiday that very afternoon and would like nothing better than Chris's book to occupy me for a few days.

Does anyone know how I will be able to get a copy that morning? will it be in the shops that day? Do bookshops get daily deliveries? Would anyone deliver it for me that day?

And help greatly appreciated!!!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Not sure but Chris' books are usually published by either Medlar Press in Ellesmere, Shropshire ( 01691 623225) or Merlin Unwin in Ludlow ( 01584 8774565). A call to one or both should establish the release dates. They may even send to you direct on launch date. Hope this helps.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Good link, Ian, but all the delivery dates are "Unknown".

I

Ian Cloke

CLICKY

Sent out as soon as it's published, for ?11.56. Cheapest I can find as yet mate.

E

Evan

"....is published, I believe, on 28th September."

News to me matey, already seen it in the shops on the shelves week before last !

Mind, I am too cheap to actually buy but it seemed an amusing little tome, tho more on the poetic side than anything else....

Lots of misty mornings, croaking bitterns and magical sunsets - none of the coke cans, Sabs, torn-mouthed puddle fish or realities of much of modern fishing.

You pays yer money. Or you doesn't if you are me :)

Blunderer

Reaction score
Evan
What shelves? The release date is 28th September. Where have you seen the book?

honslow

Reaction score
Read it and loved it. Small review in next Tuesday's Angling Times.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Just finishing reading my review copy. On site soon.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Incidentally, it's ?14.99 and published by Hamish Hamilton and my letter says publication date is 28th September.

E

Evan

"...my letter says publication date is 28th September..."

I can't help that. Letter she lie.
Go check it out in Staines and ask the bookshop manager if you don't believe me.

F

Fred Bonney

A Life in the Day:
A nice little piece, about Chris Yates,in the full inside back page, of the Sunday Times Magazine.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Evan wrote: '"...my letter says publication date is 28th September..."

I can't help that. Letter she lie.
Go check it out in Staines and ask the bookshop manager if you don't believe me.'<hr>Calm down, I wasn't disputing anything anyone said, simply telling you what my letter stated.

B

Bill Cox

Hi all

I ordered it from Amazon last night and with standard delivery it says its expected despatch date is 27/28th sept. Didn,t try for next day delivery so don,t know if its available.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I picked up the book in my local bookshop at the weekend and devoured it immediately.

I must say, for the first few chapters, I worried. After his first two books, I felt that Chris had less and less to say. The Secret Carp was his weakest yet and I felt he was churning books out almost for the sake of it.

This book initially felt like The Sceret Carp - a real-time description of a fishing trip. All very nice, but Chris was covering the same old ground - the value of instinct, the science of tea-making, the dissolving of oneself to the riverbank.

I needn't have worried. By the end I was thoroughly enjoying the prose and some of the tales transported me right to the bank with him. I laughed at his comment that "barbed wire loves landing nets even more than fishing trousers" as his mate tries to free the net to land a huge barbel for Chris.

Overall, a lovely book. Chris will never again reach the heights of "Casting at The Sun" because, quite simply, he had a lifetime worth of material to write about. But the book is an interesting philosophy on how to enjoy fishing and at time's is extremely evocative.

He still stands head and shoulders above all other angling writers.