Come on England! (Fishing rather than Football)

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Throughout the World Cup the England football team and their prospects for success occupied many column inches on this site. So who feels the same about the England match anglers as they take on the rest of the world this weekend in Portugal?
England will be represented by Des Shipp, Alan Scotthorne, Sean Ashby,Stu Conroy, Will Raison and Steve Gardener and their task is to catch sufficient freshwater Mullet and Bass to beat their hosts. Wales, Scotland and Ireland will also have teams there, along with the Ladies and Youth. Good luck England!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It's going to be tough, what with sneaky stocking (at night!) of species unknown.

I've seen two world champs (the last two England ones) and the cheer that went up when England pipped France at Holme Pierrepoint was something else; only a slightly partisan crowd...

In recent years England have become the team to beat though it can be very hard. I would like to see Steve Gardener crown his long career at this level with a long awaited win but wouldn't bet against Alan or Will winning either. I once watched Alan win the European Supercup at Holme Pierrepoint over 2 days against the best 200 in the world and it was the most devastating win I've seen in matchfishing, and that was before his England callup - certainly bosted his claim for a place. That match was perhaps the greatest match as far as showcases of match talent was concerned,; anything from the Belgian that put in 56 "babies heads" of groundbait and then caught a net roach every put in for over an hour to Tom Pickering's display of long range slide fishing to win a section of 50, but Alan still stole the show..

Come on England!!!!!!

alan

Reaction score
how about the world casting champs at the moment in portugal?

one of the guys who is local to me(met him once and fish the same areas) is currently second overall.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
All England (the fishing match not the casting one) need is a good second day result; currently leading with 16 from Hungary 39 and San Marino 47. Mind you with a 4 X world champ as reserve...