Braid or Mono

Dutchy

Reaction score
Can anyone give me the brand names and costs, that, in thier own opinion are the best Line or Braid for Spinner/lure fishing.
On a general note what would you say are the plus's and minus's of either.
I know personal preferences will come into play, but i was curios as to which would come out on top either a good cheap quality line or the braid line approach,as whichever comes out on top is the one i intend to try.
I hope this doesn't cause to many disagreements, as i'm a new member..
I shall look forward with interest to the outcome...
Thanks for your interest and look forward to your replies............

Gilby Gilbertson

Reaction score
Power pro for me. Have it in various breaking strains on three different lure ro set ups as well as my bait fishing rods. Never let me down, never felt the need to change.

If british prices put you off, have a look at Bass Pro in the states. Just ask them to post rather than Fed-ex.

keora

Reaction score
Power Pro, it's the dogs whatsits.

I bought some two years ago - ?15 for about 100 metres of 30 lb BS - about the same thickness as 8 or 10 lb nylon.

I cut it on two and use it on two separate reels for medium lure fishing and deadbaiting. It doesn't wear out as fast as nylon.

T

Tomo(B.A'S)

for me its gotta be whiplash 20lb for all my piking...

C

Chris Bishop

20lb is far too thin and has zero abrasion resistance. The 30lbs was the only braid I've ever had bust on a fish, the lesson I learned from that is thin lines are asking for it anywhere near snags.

Whiplash is also flat-profiled, which means more chances of tangles if it twists up.

Pick a braid the same diameter as the mono you'd use, like 30lbs Fireline (far thicker and more durable than Whiplash...) or 50 - 65lbs Powerpro.

M

MarkTheSpark

I can't argue with most of what Chris says, but I have found that Fireline is too wiry for using on multipliers. Whiplash is better, and I have to say that my experience of bird's nests with Whiplash (on a multiplier, so I get a few!) is that they are a doddle to undo.
But as Chris says, go for 30lb plus uncoated braid. No problems with coated braid like Fireline with fixed-spools - it's magic.

P

paul williams 2

I tried 20lb braid for barbel 2 or 3 years back.....totally unreliable in that situation and i would'nt dream of using it in piking situations.......heavy powerpro gets my vote too, i can't stand that coated stuff.......nothing under 50lb though.

P

paul williams 2

Not piking or zeding Chris..........i'm roaching.

Mate has had four doubles (Z's) to 15+.

captain carrott

Reaction score
chris is right on the whip lash it's a bugger for tangling on a fixed spool.
don't have problems with it on my multipliers though.