If you could live anywhere in Britain ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I'm thinking of moving out of London, my Mrs. wan't to live near the Sea ?

If you could move anywhere in the country, from a fishing Point of Veiw where would it be ?

Bob

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Norfolk or Oxford i think .... i would move to Bait Box with this Thread but all the good fishings up here <chuckles to himself>

B

Berty

I'd have to think hard about somewhere like Berkshire.........pits, rivers etc and striking distance to Hampshire, Oxfordshire etc.

Dont forget my invite once you find that dream water. :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time deciding where I would live when I came back from from the USA and Canada.

I finally settled where I live now, in Durrington, right opposite to the Hampshire Avon a short beat away from where Frank Sawyer used to keep the river.

From there I have the best of both worlds, fishing-wise that is.
The river opposite for fly fishing, more fly fishing just 3 minutes away in the car at Avon Springs and for my Coarse fishing then downstream of Salisbury is just 20-odd minutes away.

I can easily reach the Test in about the same driving time and the Itchen is but 50 minutes away too. If I drive in the opposite direction then the Wylyie is available in about 20 minutes.

Ringwwod and District AC and CAC lakes are only about 35 minutes in the car, and the LAA stretch at Britford is the same distance too.

All in all, I'm very happy there, why should I want to be anywhere else?

jollyboy

Reaction score
Malvern: spend my early teens growing up in Malvern and would love to move back.... You are within easy shout of Upton,Worcester,Pershore and Evesham not to mention Hereford,Tewksbury,Gloucester...but above all it's a great place to live

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]From a fishing point of view I’m happy with my present location. Sort of on the Middx, Bucks,Herts, Berkshire Border. Personally I would prefer to move to Hampshire, Norfolk or Wiltshire for a more rural way of life but it probably won’t happen.[/FONT]

geggsnick

Reaction score
I'd have to think hard about somewhere like Berkshire.........pits, rivers etc and striking distance to Hampshire, Oxfordshire etc.

Dont forget my invite once you find that dream water. :)

why oxfordshire? just curious:)

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
It's so hard to make up my mind, in the past it would have been Hampshire/Dorset, but I'm not sure the fishing is what it once was ?

I lke the idea off Norfolk/Suffolk, not sure about where to start looking.

I don't want to end up like my old mate Bob B and have to come back the the Lea Valley for some Good fishing ?

Bob

B

Berty

why oxfordshire? just curious:)

There are one or two decent fishing locations!

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Malvern: spend my early teens growing up in Malvern and would love to move back.... You are within easy shout of Upton,Worcester,Pershore and Evesham not to mention Hereford,Tewksbury,Gloucester...but above all it's a great place to live

I'm fishing the area on Friday......... :)

noknot

Reaction score
Canterbury, Kent, lived there before and loved it, wonderful place! Also some of the best Carp waters in the Country are within an hrs drive!

Reaction score
That's my second choice noknot...as you will probably have guessed...especially if we can get those big dace back into the Kentish Stour.....and one specific pub reopened and back to its glory days...although I'm not sure if my dad wants to come out of retirement!!

Reaction score
Royal Dragoon...Military Road...the one with the beer garden in the cemetery. Dad had it from mid 70's til mid 80's when he moved on to the Dove at Dargate. The pub is no more although the building is private house...ghost still active apparently.:eek:

noknot

Reaction score
I shall have a Google, as I can't remember it........

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Arh yes I know it now, we used to nip in for a pint on the way home from the T.A. Leros barracks.........

flightliner

Reaction score
Years ago I would have loved to have lived in one of the many cottages that lined the banks of the Witham in Lincolnshire, later in life -around the late seventies/ eighties I rather fancied Hampshire but since then I have come to realise that I now live in the perfect place , in an hour I can be on many of the north yorkshire rivers, The Trent to the south (forty minutes) and much nearer to home many of the local rivers are perfect for whatever you want be it game or course, all these and some great local stillwaters. Good road links and much of it is completely free-- Its a Yorkshire thing.