Trip to the Royalty

Steven Palmer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm on a 4 day trip to the Royalty next weekend and I haven't been since I was a teenager so it's as much for nostalgia as it is for the fishing!

Would any of you mind giving me some advice on current techniques, bait, swims etc. for this stretch to give me a bit of a start as it's a fair trek from where I live and I'd like to hit the bank running!

Many thanks,

Steven.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi Steven,

I've just got back from a week on the Stour, we had some cracking fish!
We spoke to a few anglers that told us the Avon is fishing very, very hard. Weed growth is a big problem.
The Throop is an option if you find it hard going on the Avon.
Send me an email and I will try to help you as much as I can.

Regards.
Steve.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I have had a couple of days there this season on the float.There was certainly plenty of smaller stuff coming out trotting if you are not solely focused on Barbel.Try corn for the dace and roach as it helps avoid the minnows.

As for Barbel, the going method seemed to be pellet over light feed via PVA bags etc.but thats probaly becasue everyone was fishing it.Trundling meat always works well here but the weed might be a problem unless you are proficient in the technique.

I've had my best days in the past on hemp and caster in the feeder but not many seem to go that way now.

captain carrott

Reaction score
the only advice i could give is when you see mullet in there don't bother trying to catch them.

they will adversely affect your sanity.

Steven Palmer

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help and I can't believe the Mullet are still torturing poor anglers, I remember them doing the same thing 20 years ago!

Cheers,

Steven.