The oldest active angler

chav professor

Reaction score
Detective inspector Clay from the 'Modern Police'? Could he really be the oldest angler - could explain the intollerance to anything not made in the last 5 years. :D

The Monk

Reaction score
Rons still young by comparison to some of the lads round here, quite a few are now in their 80s and still very active on the banks

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have to say Graham Whatmore and Graham Marsden . . . . . . .

---------- Post added at 05:51 ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 ----------

Rons still young by comparison to some of the lads round here, quite a few are now in their 80s and still very active on the banks

'Active' on the banks eh, and in their 80's . . . . . . . . .

do they go fishing as well Nick?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
An angler who also fishes my local lake turned 80 some weeks ago. He fishes once or twice a week, normally in the same swim,and usually with the same set-up. He arrives at around 8.30 and will fish til 3, is as keen as mustard and although he doesn't catch an great deal never loses his enthusiasm for his sport.
I rarely talk to anyone or strike up conversations for fear of it becoming a regular occurance but for this guy I make an exception simply because he thinks in the same way-he never stops at my swim for more than a few minutes and tries to keep below the skyline.............in fact he creeps up on me and scares the **** out of me when he speaks sudddenly!!

Over several seasons I've come to know him quite well to the point where I feel comfortable in offering him something new to try as bait if he's not catching and he is now more than happy to try my offerings. The last time it worked well was with chick peas when immediate success landed him carp to 6lb or so. He was over the moon and even more chuffed to have a change bait that doesn't cost a fortune!

He always arrives with a smile on his face,keeps himself to himself and shows immense pleasure when I catch something a bit special..................a real old fashion gentleman in every sense of the word.

Personally I'm always pleased to see him at the start of spring and long may it continue as I've grown very fond of him...........

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Now then young Jacobs, I'm not that old!

Interestingly I met an old FM member recently on a club water. How many of you remember Albert? He's well known as a river Dane angler and caught a big chub from the river a few years ago.

He's 84 now, hard of hearing, failing eyesight, and his wife has to take him fishing as he can no longer drive and needs help with his tackle.

But he's as keen as ever and was catching some nice crucian carp, roach and carp. We had a good catch-up and I said to my mate Ed that I hoped I was still fishing at his age as it was an inspiration to see him fishing in spite of the handicaps he suffers.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Albert Watkinson? He was just about the first person I swapped posts with on this forum ten years ago - something about Abu gear having a bit of luck built in, iirc.
Cheers and good luck to both him and Mrs W.!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Albert, yes I remember him from FM a few years back.

Next time you see him please give him my best regards, he was a grand chap and a gentleman to boot.

(PS, I like the 'young' bit . . . . . . )

dezza

Reaction score
Good old Albert, I hope I am still fishing at his age.

I met a couple of members of the Sheffield based Rockingham Specimen Group whilst out fishing the other day, one of them being Ted Cornish. All still very keen and catching lots of big fish including Trent Barbel.

The Rockingham Group was founded by my dear late friend, Eric Hodson.

By the way, Graham Marsden is younger than me by 3 weeks. March 22nd and April 15th - 1942

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Yes, If you're looking in Albert all best wishes and hope your still chasing the Dane chub & barbel :)

Bob Butuex is still catching big chub, I think Bob is now 82 or in his 82nd year.

I keep dropping hints to my son saying I how struggle carrying my tackle these days. :(
I think he must still remember the day I locked him in the car one day when we fished the Tweed at Coldstream. He spent half the day running along the bank telling everyone how many 'little $uggers' (freshwater shrimp) he'd caught.

dezza

Reaction score
Peter Thomas, **** Walker's life long friend is still around and would be 87 years old. Peter netted ****s record carp at Redmire.

And there are people like Fred Buller, supreme pike man, and Peter Butler, founder of the London Specimen Hunter's Club who I spoke to a few days ago.

And don't forget the great Dave Steuart.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Bob Buteux still fishes and very well, he has caught some huge Chub in recent years.

Bob

dezza

Reaction score
And Bob has just finished compiling a book called: "Angling Encounters".

Look out for it, it's going to be one of the finest reads of the year.

:)

jollyboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and it is great to read about so many veteran anglers. I know of an ex-taxi driver(Clive) who now must be knocking on 90...Fair doo's the definition of active might be a little pressed however he still fishes the local pond he has done for many years and I just know it will be a sad day when he fails to show for some time. There was a spell last year when a few anglers commented that thay had not seen him in a while but he turned back up one day looking younger than ever....

I know some avoid giving him the time of day cos he can have you stood there for ages with some right tales....weather there all true or not for me is of irrelevence and who knows it may be all true ;) ....I just hope I will still be out there enjoying what we do at that age.

The Monk

Reaction score
I'd have to say Graham Whatmore and Graham Marsden . . . . . . .

---------- Post added at 05:51 ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 ----------

'Active' on the banks eh, and in their 80's . . . . . . . . .

do they go fishing as well Nick?

lol, yeah some of em do Peter when their not dogging, lol.............................

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

The former Chairman of Middleton Anglers Roy Pole is well in his eighties now, although you really wouldnt think it to look at him, Roys mentioned in Jack Hiltons Quest for Carp for a 27lb carp he took from a local water in the 50s. Hes out fishing nearly every day and still does a fair of bit of travelling