If ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
You were only allowed two centrepin Reels, one for legering and one for trotting what would you choose.

For me it's the C 815 Aerial for my Legering and it's a Hardy Conquest (original) for my trotting !!

Bob

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Difficult one this . . . . . . okay, for legering then my Aerial wide spool Match and for trotting my Fred Crouch Emerald Aerial.

Tough choice that put my Purists in the background.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I don't use floats often enough to have a favourite trotting reel but I love my Speedia wide drum deluxe for ledgering. Though saying that I have just got the Ikonix and I must say I like it alot. Infact if I had to choose it would be the Ikonix (far more practical on a muddy river bank).

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

I'm getting a Ray walton rolling pin for my 40th ...... Any good? It would have to be one of mine!!!

Chav, honestly I sold mine after only a season of use. Unless you use braided mainline, the line twist is not funny. On top of that for me the drum was too small. Don't get me wrong the build quallity is great and the concept superb, but in the real world it just didn't work for me.

B

Berty

The big wooden Nottingham my Dad used to have.........before i loaned it (without permision!) and dropped it in the Marlhole!!

It was 15ft deep with shear sides.......i dived down till my ears hurt but couldnt get to the bottom.......i was 12 or 13.

I was scared to go home........but hunger overcame my fear :)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
My Match Aerial for trotting and my Mordex Major for ledgering. I've got a Grice and Young Gypsy d'Or which comes a close second on the ledgering front though.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'd have the Rapidex I bought with my paper round forty-odd years ago, and my Cortesi. I'd leger with whichever had the right line on for the job.

Reaction score
For Ledgering i have only tried my Okuma Sheffield so far but have a speedia to try when i get round to it.For trotting it's an Adcock Stanton everytime for me.
Dan

bigchub

Reaction score
Richard Carter Merlin centrepin (wide spool) for legering but I'd also love one of those Browning Revolvers as well (after I've won the lottery!). Don't do much float fishing these days but dads John Wilson Heritage (narrow spool) looks perfect for light line float fishing. He hasn't used it since he brought it many years ago (production number 300) and has just loaded it up with 3lb for a roach bashing session next Saturday. I always said to him that a reel like that was made to be used and not just stuck on a shelf to be admired although he took a fair bit of convincing!!!

dezza

Reaction score
For both, it is a reel I will never own, irrespective as to how much money I might use to bribe or cajole.

A Chris Lythe!

:(:(:(:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Desert Island Centrepins... My long-owned 4in.-dia., 7/8in.-wide, 1915 Allcock Aerial for trotting; Speedia Wide Drum De-Luxe for legering. As a back-up ... "could I have a narrow-drum Speedia for trotting....?".

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I know lots of us on here have lots of Pins and it's a difficult choice.

But for those who do not own pins or have never used Pins, this could be an interesting thread for you and one where the reading the thread would be far more useful that posting inane comments ?

Strong pins I feel are a must for legering, with good strong ratchets, to stop the line being pulled continually off the spool.

Yes I know you can hold the reel all the time, but on very cold winter days, I prefere to have my hand withing reach in my rod and reel, holding a hand warmer in my pocket !!

As for trotting I like a free running reel, with sort of drag which allows you to slow the reel down to the pace of the river.

Then of course you can fine tune the pull of the line with your thumb :wh

Bob

---------- Post added at 01:40 ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 ----------

Desert Island Centrepins... My long-owned 4in.-dia., 7/8in.-wide, 1915 Allcock Aerial for trotting; Speedia Wide Drum De-Luxe for legering. As a back-up ... "could I have a narrow-drum Speedia for trotting....?".

Paul,

You can have whatever you like mate, nothing spins better than a Speedia, I prefere the ones with the drag control.

Bob

flightliner

Reaction score
For trotting my Adcock, for ledgering my other Adcock! Not trying to be funny here but thats it for me. Funnily enough tho I have just returned from the shops and bumped into my old tackle dealer friend who told me that he was considering what to do with his "collection" of reels-- he has numerous Mitchell matches circa 1970/80s that are still boxed and a half dozen match ariels, two are used models but the others are mint.
I offered to take an ariel off his hands at what I thought was a fair price,
All I got for a reply was a raised fist with the middle finger stuck up!-- Naughty!

jack sprat

Reaction score
The dealers at Romsey tackle fair usually ask £200 to £220 for a mint boxed Match Aerial but give me a Mitchell Match any time for trotting!