Carp!!!

noknot

Reaction score
Which is your favorite strain to catch, Commons, Mirrors, Leathers, Fully scaled Mirrors, torpedo's or deep and wide, Dark or light colouring???

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Common Carp, every time for me, deep autumn gold colours too. Like burnished copper and liquid gold, with that buttery yellow underside.

Perfect fish!

noknot

Reaction score
Fully scaled mirror does it for me
My first 21+ Carp was a F/S Mirror back in the 80's, but what a special Carp that was! One, it was one of only 15 Carp that lived in a small 4 acre pit, and these were pressured Carp indeed! Two, it had a full linear scaling on one flank, a real dark old stunner of over 30 years old at the time, Oh the memories.................

richiekelly

Reaction score
dark commons are my favorite but in all my years of trying i have never had a true linear ie no other scales other than along the flank, my son rang me a couple of years ago to photograph a fish, it was a linear over 30lbs, a lovely fish and one i would have loved to catch, i wasnt envious.... much.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
It's Commons for me as well, but a nice Fully Scaled also takes some beating !!

Bob

noknot

Reaction score
Common carp - but not once they get to the size were they have a "gut" -

I'd rather catch a 20lb than a 40lb with a "gut"
Do you mean like this LP???

DSC_1713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Go advanced NoKnot and just edit and then delete one of the posts ....... no need to get a mod to do it. Will be faster too <grins>

dezza

Reaction score
I've caught thousands of carp in my life and to be honest a carp with a gut was always a non-starter.

The best carp I ever caught were slim commons up to 18 lbs on the Vaal River near Kimberley. They went like torpedos and were beautifully coloured.

The worst carp I ever caught was a huge excuse for a fish that weighed 25 kilogrammes and thinking back at that horror makes me want to puke!

:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

beerweasel

Reaction score
I don't fish for Carp, but going on the aesthetic appeal I would go for a Leaney
strain Mirror.
The Bishop is a good example, it looks like a Bergman bronze. :)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Dark, thin common. With no hint of granny-was-a-koi yellow or orange in the tail.

Unless, of course, I'm on six-pound string, in which case, bring on the golden-butted hippos.

I'd like to be a purist, but I'm having to learn to live without pride. Or is it shame?

noknot

Reaction score
Not at all, they are stunning fish, only caught small ones myself, years ago, but we have a very similar fish here too!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Absolutely stunning fish NK.
There was a time in 2004 that I had a go primarily for the ghosties in a certain lake when a stumbled on a bait they seemed to really go for and the other carp were not so keen? I took eighteen during September and October with this fellow the largest.
PS [FONT=&quot]apologies [/FONT] for the thumb in the mouth but it was the only way I could calm it for the pic.

barbelboi-albums-c1-picture2662-ghostie-5.jpg

Last edited:

dannytaylor

Reaction score
a couple of my favourites.

The first is a lovely linear mirror, came from a huge pit with very little known about the stock of carp it contained, very likely it had never seen the bank until that day.

001-23.jpg

The second is this river common built for a scrap.

109.jpg