Braid

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Having never used braid, I would like some advice concerning whether and how to use it. The context is that I?m fishing with the kids and I want to use thin lines to get bites but want strong lines as they keep hooking carp (last weekend my daughter got a 6lb common ? nice). The obvious solution to this conflict is to go down the braided route. I saw one braid advertised that was as thin as normal 1.8lb mono but had a breaking strain of 8lb ? looks ideal but some questions:

Other than the cost involved, why shouldn?t I use braid?
Will I have to use different knots?
Is it more visible if float fishing?
Is it more easily damaged?

Many thanks

E

EC

To be honest mate I reckon you should think about the way you are balancing and setting up your tackle before assuming that braid is the answer to your problems. For the sort of fish you describe a 5 or 6Lb reel line, say maxima, and good quality hi tec hooklength of slightly less breaking strain should get you plenty of bites. So long as its balanced to the rod you are using, and the drag on your reel is set, you will get them out!

But as for your questions, and there are many more anglers here more experienced with braid than me, but from my experience.....

Other than the cost involved, why shouldn?t I use braid? Not needed for float fishing close in!

Will I have to use different knots? Don't know what knots you are using now, but usually yes!

Is it more visible if float fishing? Many braids float so are more visible on the surface!

Is it more easily damaged? Of those that I have used some definitely damage easier than others.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Got rid of my braid reel line after Ian Heaps showed me the damage it can do to a foul hooked or tethered fish. Because it has no stretch or give under tension it acts like a cheese cutter. Need I say more? Use you imagination. Steve stick to mono lines.

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Thanks for this guys - think I'll go for a modern hi-tech mono hooklink instead.
Steve