HELP

P

philip heap

Is there anyone out there that can help me please. I am disabled but able to walk and would like to start to fly fish as the tackle is not to heavy to carry. What I cant find on the net is when is the closed season for game fishing.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Philip, it varies from region to region.

The season for Brown Trout starts as early as March 15, a little later in some areas. It ends sometime this month, the end I think, but I'm not sure.

There is no legally enforced closed season for Rainbows, as they generally don't breed in the wild. Individual fisheries may impose their own closed seasons though.

As for Salmon, varies widely, from river to river.

Best bet is to check directly with the water you intend to fish. Failing this, contact your local E.A. office.

Hope this helps.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I would suggest if you are taking up fly fishing and not done any before ,that you invest in a lesson just to learn the basics of casting ......(a lot of fisheries have a qualified teacher or know of one )
It's well worth the expense usually about ?10 for an hours lesson --

NT

Reaction score
Rainbow trout can be taken all year (as they are triploids and can't bread - but they will be dark / poor eating in the winter). Some fisheries do close in the winter but most small ones want the revenue and will be open.
Brown trout and migratory fish do have season and they do vary slightly - generally 31st March to 31st September was the brown trout season.

The info is some info on the environmental agency website but it does say ..

(a) Rainbow Trout Close Season

There is no annual close season for fishing for rainbow trout by rod and line in all reservoirs, lakes and ponds. In other waters the close season will be determined by local byelaws - contact your local office for these (tel - 08708 506 506).

(b) Brown trout close season

A close season for brown trout applies to all waters, although dates vary according to local byelaws, which you can obtain from your local office (tel - 08708 506 506).

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/246986/255175/255240/?lang=_e

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
I thought the 'close season' was mainly determined by the fish's ability to breed in a water?
If you have a stillwater that has fish that are capable of breeding, then the national closed season applies. If not, then it is down to the waters' owners.