I would like to see

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Sounds like a great rod Jeff. I have the standard Sulis 2 piece Avon which is also a very nice rod.

Alan Horn

Reaction score
Jeff
How light do you think you can go with line on this rod? Graham did a piece in Coarse Fisherman (August 2004), an evenings roving for chub with one rod, the FISHINGmagic Concept, using 4lb reel line and 2lb hook link for float fishing before changing to a 4lb hook link on a ledger rig. Would you consider the 4-piece Sullis with its fine tip suitable for such light line? If not, how light would you consider going?

A 4-piece versatile rod would save me taking at least two rods every time I go fishing, as well as saving space in a small car.

G

Ged

4 piece rods.
I have two Korum quad rods.
2lb test curve 12ft.
line rating 6 to 15lb.
Great for waggler fishing for tench. Also great for dead bait with bung and spratt.
Best fish I have had so far was a pike just over 19lb. Carp to over 14lb.
Packs away nice and small, or you can pack away as for normal rods of 2 pieces.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
I have the Harrison 4 peice avon,always with me in the back of the car now I work only a mile from the river,had barbel to over Ten on it and its a dream of a rod,all packed away in the boot of the car you would never know it was in there.
A bit steep at ?150 but its such a pleasure to use
I purposely use a pin on it so I dont feel the need to cast too far and rove about after work for a couple of hours with just rod ,landing net and Fluff flingers waistcoat,what more do you need?
Regards Matt

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Sounds as if the Avon might be better suited for you Alan as presumably it has a lighter test curve?

Jeff your secret compartment is secret no more!

W

Wolfman Woody

Update - heaviest fish on it so far - 9lbs 11ozs and still it wasn't threatened. Maybe even heavier still, if I can get out for an odd hour tonight. Fingers crossed.

Alan Horn - I suppose at a pinch you could use 4lb line on it, but I'd like to be sure I wouldn't be contacting anything of a size. I think I'd trust 6lb with a 5lb hooklink better.

Nigel - damn! And Marsden used that compartment to hide his wallet in. I even had to have stiffened up suspension fitted to take the extra weight.

alex laurie

Reaction score
Me too Woody.
I have a 4 pce Avon made by Leslies of Luton on a Harrison blank. Might be a bit meaty for giving a fish some real welly on 4lb. I'd stick with the 5lb too.
I also have a Harrison 2pce Avon, which is not quite as meaty as the 4pce. Both are great rods.

Alex

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Even with me and my wallet Jeff's car still leans over to the driver's side....

W

Wolfman Woody

"Even with me and my wallet Jeff's car still leans over to the driver's side...."

That was only after that last curry though Graham.

Norman Smith

Reaction score
The rod sounds good but seems expensive compared with the Shimano Exage range which are only half the price. Another advantage the Shimanos have is that they have shorter sections that fit into a suitcase for overseas trips. The only disadvantage of using the Shimanos is that the odd number of sections means that they don't fold down so neatly. As you can gather I am sold on the Shimanos and have had carp to over 30lb on them. I bought them to try for tarpon fishing but so far have not had the chance to try them out.

Paul Thomson

Reaction score
I've just bought a Harrison 4 piece, I read the comments and felt with the tippier action this would be more to my liking than a Avon type rod which tends to be a bit floppy. It certainly feels good in the hand cannot wait to get out and give it a try.

malc donaldson

Reaction score
ive always thought(maybe im wrong) that the more joints you have the weaker the rod could be..

C

Cakey

dunno about weaker but you have three flat spots instead of one

I want 12' one piece rods

M

mark norris (ACA)

If multi- piece rods are the coming trend,why is it that I can only buy rod holdalls designed for 12` 2- piece rods?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Multi-section rods have to be the way forward.

Ok they may be slightly more expensive to make, and marginally heavier.

I've never noticed a 'flat-spot' on any rod I've used, whether it be made of 2 sections or 6. I'm usually more interested with fighting the fish, rather than looking along the rod to see whether it has a perfect curve. If there is a flat spot, does it really matter?

With multi-section rods you can shove them in a drawer at home. More importantly, you can keep themin the boot of your car while you're at work/ shopping/ whatever, so the local chavs are none the wiser.

gerry h

Reaction score
Ric ,you are dead right ,the multi peace rods are always in the suitcase,and they perform aswell as 2 or 3 piece rods ,be it the shimano spinnning rods or the fox treckers which are being used at the moment

C

Cakey

Ric was that a run or a nibble ............................I actually own a Shimano Exage and I cant see any flat spots and in certain situations I love using it

Dave Park

Reaction score
As I fish abroad quite a bit, the advent of effective multi-piece rods has meant an end to the hassle of checking in oversized luggage at airports. As others have said, every bit as good as 2-piece rods

...still use my range of split canes at home though.