Most useful item

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

We have had a thread on the most useless bit of kit you have bought. Now lets have one on the most useful item you have bought over the past few years. It doesn't necesserally have to do with fishing.

Here's my 3 items.

1: My Greys 3/4 length jacket. It's the best fishing jacket I have ever owned. It never lets in water, looks smart and is as tough as leather. I've had it about 3 years now.

2: My Aussie Jackeroo bush hat, bought for me by son in Sydney. Totally waterproof and looks the business. Had to take the corks off as I don't like looking like a pratt.

3: My Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700 watch.
Bang on accurate, perpetual movement, never needs a battery and looks the business
What more can I say.

Lets's have some of your best purchases.

F

Fred Bonney

Prologic quick release connecter.
4-port hub.
My estate car

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Four quarter inch diameter split rings. 5.p each.

Beecy

Reaction score
a cutter for taking the foil off wine bottle tops and a non drip pouring spout/stopper

got them for free with a box of wine at christmas and they are brilliant.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
A pair of Dubarry boots. Warm as anything in winter (even without thick socks) yet cool enough to wear in summer. Easy to get on and off should I have to go in for a fish, and comfortable enough for long walks. Made of leather with Goretex lining, they are still waterproof after four years without any treatment whatsoever.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
A device at you fit into a bottle of wine to keep it fresh when you have open a bottle and not drunk it all..........Who am kidding that never happens , I always manage to finsih of the bottle ......then open another..

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
1: My brand spanking new frying pan. Cast iron, heavy as hell but its just the biz.

2: My Tilly hat, i wear it loads and it realy is all its cracked up to be.

3: Not in the last few years this, in fact it was 28 years ago, but i bought a Longines watch whilst in Jersey. It cost me more than a months wages and unlike Rons it keeps terrible time(loses 5 mins every day) but it looks great, it is thin and it is a proper tick tock with a real working sprung movement and i love it.

toothy

Reaction score
hydrolastic and my new baggin machine, dus the buisiness all of the time cant fault the 2 of them at all.=]

alex laurie

Reaction score
For fishing...A Pentax Optio WPi. A very compact digital 6mp camera, which is totally waterproof. Great for underwater shots of fish and also very useful if you take a nosedive into the Ribble, as I did.

I also have several 4 piece travel rods now, which have allowed me to sneak off fishing at times when I really shouldn't. I once caught a salmon on the work's time, which was nice.

Non fishing....A flat TV cum PC monitor that gains some valuable space in the spare room, so that i can create a bigger mess with fishing tackle. It also lets me watch the footy in the spare room and get on the 'net at half time. I just leave the volume turned up and switch back the footy when the kick off happens.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
1. A digital tyre inflater which plugs into a car cigar lighter socket. Saved my bacon twice in recent months when I had punctures driving down unmade lanes.
2. Best fishing gadget I have ever bought is a little yellow contraption (no name as I can see) made by Stonfo of Italy. One end allows you to remove shot safely without damaging the line, while the other end features an equally clever twin fork device to move split shot up and down the line without damaging it. Cost about ?5 but worth every penny.

S

Sean Meeghan

A pair of Muckboot wellies. The best wellies I've ever had!

A Sony Ericsson mobile phone with a 2 mega pixel camera (a lot of the pictures in my articles were taken with this - I'm always forgetting my camera)

A Yamaha TDM 900. So much more versatile than my old Thunderbird Sport!

S

Sean Meeghan

Oh and my Wychwood Wild water jacket. 8 years old and still going strong! (Is 4 items cheating?)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"Keeperwear" waxed jacket - bought in 1981, still going strong but haven't worn it for while. Better than any Barbour or similar jacket.

12 Shares in Barclays Bank PLC bought in 1976 when I was skint - sold a few (lot!) since - but they grew and grew and helped to get us on the property ladder.

The Wife - officially in 1975 - but had quite a bit of expense prior to that - still going strong and generally in quite good condition. Keeps me going and lets me go fishing every now and then.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Neil, :O)

Pringle thermal underwear (T-shirt and longjohns) - invaluable the last two years winter pike sessions.

My Canon EOS 350D - amazing photos and re-kindled my photographic interests.

Some Ron Thompson spinners - at ?5 for four not only were they superb value but big(ish) Perch in the Derwent love them.

R

Robert Woods 1

A small army surplas rucksac that I have had to cut down on gear to get it in. My little legs have never walked so far on river banks...lol

Reaction score
1)My Davenport & Fordham's Farstrike 10ft built cane Avon....a superb rod....had it years and years 2) A tin of Mucilin line floatant that lasted me 30 years 3) the stippling brush I use for my murals....wonderful effects.