Clutch Or Backwind?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've generally favoured using the "backwind" method of giving line when playing a decent fish. But I think I'm converted to using the clutch now!

Spent yesterday playing around on my local commercial with my new toy, a little Shimano Stradic 1000FH (bought for a very cheap price in The States) and managed to land quite a few Carp up to around 14lbs.

I know it's a decent bit of kit and the engineering is of high quality but I was still suprised at how sensitive and smooth the clutch is.

I even changed the spool for lighter lines (from 6lb down to 4.5lb and then 3lb - the price included 1 spare spool and I managed to blag another from the salesman) and found it worked just as well.

Well impressed. I know you generally get what you pay for and I may have to invest in something similar if I want to replicate it but it's a real pleasure to use.

Will still use the ultimate control measure for the margins though.... my trusty centrepin and thumb/fingers!

S

Sean Meeghan

I've learnt the hard way that clutch is best when playing a strong, hard fighting fish. I learned this with large (20lb plus)Chinook Salmon in the US, but found that it also applies to Barbel in the UK

G

Ged

If its a big fish, I'l use the clutch. For smaller fish on the same setup, I'll back wind if the fish decides to run.
Ie, fish over 10lb will easily take line on the clutch when using 12lb hook link. Smaller fish of say 7lb or less, might not be able to take line on the clutch, so if they decide on a run I'll back wind to release the strain.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I should have qualified it a bit more.

It's rare for me use lines above 8lb and more usually it's 6lb+ when commercial carping or barbeling. 2.5lb to 5lb mainline with lesser hooklengths is more the norm.

The quality of the Shimano engineering seems to handle the lesser bs lines far more efficiently than my other reels (but they were a lot cheaper!).

P

Paul Christie

Clutch everytime for me. Used to backwind many years ago when clutches weren't so good, as they weren't smooth like they are today.

I also think that a clutch tires a fish much quicker than a backwind.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Clutch for me too with these modern reels. Older reels never had a reliable clutch thats why everyone used the backwind method but its unnecessary now.

It doesn't matter what line strength you use you can set the clutch to give line when it gets near the breaking strain, its a simple process but best done before you go fishing otherwise its just a case of setting the clutch and pulling the line to make sure it gives line under pressure.

The fighting drag on Shimano reels is a super system and I use it all the time.

captain carrott

Reaction score
if i'm using 1 or 2lb hooklengths then it tend to back wind.

with higher breaking strains it's clutch every time.

it's simply because with the very low breaking strains i'm ot happy that i can eliminate the effects of static friction

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

For me, big hard fighting fish are fought using the drag. (I don't like the term - clutch - clutches are found in cars.)

For light tackle, below about 4 lbs bs I use backwind.

Y

yoggy

Same here.I backwind when targeting the smaller species.But use the drag when fishing for the larger species.

You pay decent money for a reel with a good drag system so as far as i`m concerned let the mechanics do the job they were built for.

F

Fred Bonney

Always use the drag, from my old mitchell's to my current shimano's.
I don't feel comfortable at all, backwinding.

T

The Monk

Yes this has been discussed many times and I think some of our top angling writers have a lot to answer for. The whole idea behind a clutch on a fixed spool reel is so that a large fish can be played, anyone with any experience of hard fighting river fish, the world over, will realise the essentials of using a clutch, I defy anyone to try backwinding a St Lawrence carp

clutches are found in cars?? Ron, they are also found in many mechanical devices to release pressure

A clutch is a mechanism for transmitting rotation, which can be engaged and disengaged according to certain conditions.

L

Les Clark

Clutch every time , try backwinding when a big carp /pike decides to make a break for it ,all you get is very sore knuckles and a slack line .