Attention caravanners!

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I've been asked to compile a magazine supplement about caravan sites with fishing facilities. And I know we have a few caravanners on FM.
The sites don't have to have their own fishing, but must be VERY close to public fishing if it's not actually on site - the idea is that an angler staying on the site doesn't have to use the car to reach the fishing.

I want to know about the fishing - I have all the data I need about the caravan sites. Species of fish, how big, how easy, how deep, how muddy, how pretty.... any of that kind of thing. I will get prices updated so don't worry about that; but I do want to hear from caravanners (or non-caravanners if the site sells day tickets) who have visited a site fishery in THE LAST 18 MONTHS.

You can PM me or email me at mark[at]thewideangle.net.

I need around 150 words and it's up to you whether you get a credit. I was thinking of paying all published a fiver but I've decided instead to make a donation to Cancer UK and the British Heart Foundation, £5 per report published. I will post a pic of the receipt to prove this has happened!

And if one of the moderators could make this post sticky for a couple of weeks, I'd be really grateful! All the information will be made available afterwards to FM readers.

jollyboy

Reaction score
I am a member of the Camping and Caravan club...if you search the sites or affiliated sites on line using the filter it will lits lots all over the country.... You can also use Uk Campsites although you cant filter in fishing....the web pages for the campsite will have a little fish logo if they have.

Both links are listed below

- Unsupported Browser

UKCampsite.co.uk - Caravan Sites, Parks and Camping Sites in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Europe

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

why just those with tin tents?

what about us campers?
my tackle goes wherever i set up camp.

Second class need not apply

ONLY PLAYING

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Thread is now 'stuck'

That's a nice gesture too Mark, I hope you get plenty of contributions

If you want any help only willing to oblige

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

B

Berty

Mark.

Look up Lucksall caravan site Mordiford Nr Hereford......the Wye runs through it.

I have had barbel to 11+ chub 5+ .......big perch, pike, carp, dace and shad.

It's club water, tickets available on site.......the site pages should give you everything you need.....including a live Wye water level gauge.

Recomend it is best fished evening or early morning, the Wye is now awash with canoes.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
why just those with tin tents?

what about us campers?
my tackle goes wherever i set up camp.

Sorry. I should have included campers, too, mate. I don't actually care if you slept rough at the campsite;I want to know your experience of fishing it.

Thanks the bloke who posted details of where I can find out what a fishery says about itself, but that's no good to me. I can't take the word of a the owner or it wouldn't be objective.

And yes, to the other guy, I know how to find out which sites have fishing. I have access to the best database of sites in the UK. What I need are first-hand, genuine reports of what anglers think of the fishing. Only that.

jollyboy

Reaction score
What I need are first-hand, genuine reports of what anglers think of the fishing. Only that.
Are you trying to compile this database? I am not sure one exists. Both sites posted on them links have feedback for the sites.... but the feedback is more about the site and facilitied for camping and caravans. An interesting concept however will you get enough feedback from anglers themselves?....

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

- Details - Spalding - Ashleigh House, -0.28564453125)&siteTypes=1, 2, 3, 5

example

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Are you trying to compile this database? I am not sure one exists. Both sites posted on them links have feedback for the sites.... but the feedback is more about the site and facilitied for camping and caravans. An interesting concept however will you get enough feedback from anglers themselves?....

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

- Details - Spalding - Ashleigh House, -0.28564453125)&siteTypes=1, 2, 3, 5

example
Many thanks Jollyboy. But as I said, I have a database. I am writing a supplement for a caravan magazine. I need first-hand experience of the fishing on any UK campsite... just 150 words about what you thought.

I will be using these testimonials in the supplement. If you want to be credited for the review, you can be. And I will donate £5 of my own money to Cancer Relief and the British Heart Foundation for each one I use.

Anyway, JB, you seem to know a bit. Contribute a couple of fishing reviews and save a life....

jollyboy

Reaction score
Many thanks Jollyboy. But as I said, I have a database. I am writing a supplement for a caravan magazine. I need first-hand experience of the fishing on any UK campsite... just 150 words about what you thought.

I will be using these testimonials in the supplement. If you want to be credited for the review, you can be. And I will donate £5 of my own money to Cancer Relief and the British Heart Foundation for each one I use.

Anyway, JB, you seem to know a bit. Contribute a couple of fishing reviews and save a life....

I will do........ not a problem from the one or two we have all ready visited and will do in the future too.... good luck hope you get all the support you need

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Mark

Do you need report on Forum or by pm? I was at one yesterday that fits the bill perfectly. Check Holt Fleet Fishery on fisheries.co.uk.

Jollyboy, you may know it better than me as it has a "camping and caravan club" field.

Bear in mind I'm probably one of the least experienced posters on here and have only fished the venue once! Definately going back.

Ian

jollyboy

Reaction score
Mark

Do you need report on Forum or by pm? I was at one yesterday that fits the bill perfectly. Check Holt Fleet Fishery on fisheries.co.uk.

Jollyboy, you may know it better than me as it has a "camping and caravan club" field.

Bear in mind I'm probably one of the least experienced posters on here and have only fished the venue once! Definately going back.

Ian

Ive only been a member a year:D I have however used a couple that I will write reviews on asap and pm them

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Thanks Ian and Kevin for the reports. More are required. And of course campers (or anyone who has fished a caravan site fishery) are very welcome.

What about Sandy Balls? (the caravan park, not the seaside irritation!) And the many other great river stretches close to caravan sites (or vice versa).

Keep 'em coming, ladies and gents...

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I am a member of the Camping and Caravan club...if you search the sites or affiliated sites on line using the filter it will lits lots all over the country.... You can also use Uk Campsites although you cant filter in fishing....the web pages for the campsite will have a little fish logo if they have.

Both links are listed below

- Unsupported Browser

UKCampsite.co.uk - Caravan Sites, Parks and Camping Sites in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Europe

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

Second class need not apply

ONLY PLAYING

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

If you want any help only willing to oblige

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

For anyone interested you can filter for fishing on UKcampsite forum

link below

Campsites and Caravan Parks with on site Fishing - UK Camp Site Articles

abborre

Reaction score
Mark.

Look up Lucksall caravan site Mordiford Nr Hereford......the Wye runs through it.

I have had barbel to 11+ chub 5+ .......big perch, pike, carp, dace and shad.

It's club water, tickets available on site.......the site pages should give you everything you need.....including a live Wye water level gauge.

Recomend it is best fished evening or early morning, the Wye is now awash with canoes.
would i be correct in saying the river lugg also runs through mordiford and the pub is the bunch of carrots

B

Berty

would i be correct in saying the river lugg also runs through mordiford and the pub is the bunch of carrots

The lugg ends it's travels into the Wye here........the Bunch of carrots is a little way upstream on the Wye ........ the pub in Mordiford is "The Sun".

freebird7

Reaction score
Do you still need these reports? Im in the pocess of booking 3-4 days at The Willows for early october
and would be more then happy to write a report.:)

Andreafish

Reaction score
Yes, please Freebird. The supplement won't be published until spring and it's a case of the more the merrier.

Laneham on Trent, camping and caravaning right alongside the tidal trent is just over the floodbank. was £13.00 an night for a tourer or tent. fishing is not included. no night fishing. 4 miles from Dunham bridge, 10 mins walk to the pub.

Brompton on Swale yorkshire, caravans and camping on the side of the Swale.

A1 fisheries Newark on Trent, right at the side of the trent and A1 pits, just one toilet, no showers. it was £10.00 per person per 24 hours. tourer caravans and tents. gates close at 7.00pm me thinks

Pately Bridge, upper river Nidd, on the side of the Nidd. day tickets available. trout and grayling. 5 mins walk to the pub

Angel Inn on the Swale tourer caravans on the side of the swale at Topcliffe.

These are the ones me and my bf have visited

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Thanks for these. The project has been put back until spring but I'm quite pleased about that as, the FM moderator willing, this sticky thread can gather some more tips for camping/caravanning near fishing or with its own fishing.

So please keep them coming. I'll get back to those of you who post just short tips, like these, for a bit more info.

Many thanks again

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Mark

as we've just bought a caravan - pulled by a team of 4 horses naturally - I'd like to know when and what mag this article is to be published in - keep us all informed

cheers