Has anyone fished in Mauritius before?

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
Im going to Mauritius on holiday in June and wondered if anyone has any experience of fishing there? I will hopefully be hiring a charter for the day but from what I can tell, I should be able have a chuck from the beaches, inlets and lagoons aswell. My usual fishing would be chubbing on the Colne so its one extreme to another. Could anyone give me some advice as to what type of rod, reel and tackle I could get away with? Thanks

Dave German

Reaction score
Should be going in june as well, was defo going to charter a boat for half day, will keep those guyes in mind.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Many years ago I went to Mauritius on a business trip when SAB were extending the brewery there.

The coastal fishing was very good with several species of fish common to the Indian ocean. Good eating too.

Ben S 10

Reaction score
Just got back from my honeymoon.
Stayed at Belle Mare beach.
Amazing place and great fishing.
Caught 2 small barracuda, or tazar as the locals call em, from the beach on an abu toby in the day, and at dusk and into the night i used a big floating rapala and caught two big trevally, or cerrangue as they call them. Were as long as my arm and fight like nothing ive caught before.

The locals all tell you to use bread or squid, but stick with lures for the big stuff.

I was lucky to be there on the full moon when all the fish come really close inshore as night draws in. you can see all the small fish jumping for there lives as the preds come hunting.
In the day you need to fish on the incoming tide or at high tide.
During full moon tide was irrelevant. The fishing was mental, although i only got the odd half hr seshion in due to the fact i was on my honeymoon!

I was fishing in the lagoon (The island is mostly surrounded by a coral reef c. 100m-800m offshore. Outside it is the big game and sharks, inside is small fish, coral type species and smaller preds.
Also fish over the sand patches rather than over coral for trevally and cudas.

Lure wise silvery rapalas worked best.
You can see them in the day but really hard to catch the trevally once people start wading and swimming, even though they dont swim off they stop feeding.

Not sure how to post pics. Do have some of the trevally.

Great place youll love it. Good luck with the wedding.