Fish of a lifetime - again!

I

Ian Cloke

Adventure-loving grandmother Shirley Deterding has written her name into the record books for the second time this year. Seven months ago she shattered the world record by landing a 150lb sailfish during an epic fishing holiday in the Pacific off Guatemala. Now her Norfolk home also displays pictures of a monster salmon she caught while fishing in Norway. ?Many people dream of the fish of a lifetime, in whatever form of fishing they are partaking of,? said the 71-year-old from Kelling Hall, near Holt. ?If they are lucky, it happens once in a lifetime. I have been so lucky in that it has happened to me this year not once, but twice.

?Earlier in the year I fulfilled my ambition to catch a big game fish on a fly, landing a 150lb sailifish on a 16lb line and fly in Guatemala. Last month I was fortunate enough to be invited to fish the Alta river in Norway.

?This was serious Atlantic salmon fishing on one of the world's most beautiful and unspoiled rivers, with some of the most experienced fishermen in the world.

?I was determined not to let the female side down and equal the men's efforts. Little did I know that I was going to beat them at their own game.

?By the end of the week I had caught 26 fish, 11 grilse and two gigantic salmon over 40lb, the bigger one weighing 51lb.

?The guide said that if it had been a fresh fish, not one that had been in the river for several months, it would have been well over 60lb.

?I had already become a member of the Giant Salmon Club with my 43lb fish - this put me in an even higher category of weight. The last day I actually landed in the boat - everything is returned to the water - over 157lb of fish, a season's best.

?This did not count the sea trout, grayling and Arctic char that are regularly picked up while fishing down a pool. Indeed a fisherman's dream come true.?

She added: ?I'm a female, an elderly female, but I love it when battle commences. And I love the excitement of travel and exploring possibilities.?