Oh Dear Angling Times

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Page 15 of this week's issue features Trefor West, one of England's finest river anglers giving a few tips on barbel and chub angling.

For a start, there is Tref pictured wearing a battered and slime stained pair of trousers, an old khaki ex-army shirt and a cap that has seen more dirt than my hat.

And further, he is holding one of his old Harrison rods with a early 80s Cardinal reel!!!

And then we go even further.

"Parcel tape to camouflage the hook length to make it resemble a bit of dead reed on the bottom".

And - "Green electrical cable with the core removed to resemble a reed that potrudes from the bottom."

And finally - plasticene of all things, with gravel or or stones in it to give it extra weight!!!

Oh dear, what are the tackle trade going to say, especially when Trefor recommends using one rod only?

Mind you, no doubt the TGF will be thinking up ways of marketing parcel tape and old bits of wire in fancy packets with You know who's head on the packet....

:eek:)

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Trefor is one of the few modern anglers I really admire. Half a dozen words of wisdom from him are worth more than whole volumes of nonsense from some of the star names.

R

I tend to agree with that Fred.

C

chris 2

I once asked Trefor how to set the clutch on my reel when barbel fishing near snags.He said put your hook through the hole on the zipp on your tackle bag loosen your clutch and then put a bend in your rod.When the clutch starts ticking tighten it up until your rod has got its full fighting curve then add another notch to your clutch.This is a good way how to set your reel drag.But once i forgot to slacken the clutch,put a big bend in my ?180 barbel rod and snapped it in half????Lesson i learnt, dont buy expensive rods.I still set my reel drags this way though.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Lesson i learnt, dont buy expensive rods"-

-or don't have such a heavy tackle bag

C

chris 2

Trefor gave me the tip at chatsworth angling show about 6 years ago.The bloke couldnt give me enough advice.Ive read the angling times today and iam most impressed that Trefor has no major sponsors to plug.

R

Trefor is one guy who is fully qualified to hold the position of "Professional Angler".

I have spoken in the past to people who have booked a day with him. Comments like: "The best money I have ever spent". were common. Trefor has spent his life fishing for chub and barbel on many British rivers.