Grayling

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I've spent quite a bit of time in the last year fly fishing for Trout and Grayling.

I've caught dozens of Grayling. As I catch more and more of them I'm no closer to solving the problem of handling them. I'm not talking about them going belly up im warm weather, or swallowing any legered bait.

No, I just can't get hold of them, they are a nightmare! I've tried gripping them a little more tightly, I've tried holding them head up, more loosely, and trying to adjust to their wriggling/ twisting, with little success.

Any ideas/hints/ tips gratefully received!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Try holding them upside down as this works sometimes.

J

john ledger

Try not holding them Ric by leaving in net and removing hook.I treat them like small barbel lots of TLC

J

john ledger

Ric
If you had asked the same question about barbel you would have had around 5pages of posts.
Does that not tell you whats wrong with anglers today?

keora

Reaction score
Use a barbless hook if you can.

Don't take the grayling out of the net. Hold the fish wrapped in the soft micromesh This gives you more control when the fish wriggles.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I agree with John's suggestion, keep them in the water to unhook them.

They're wirey critters aren't they?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Thanks for the views on this.

I tend not to use barbless hooks for Grayling. The number I lose off the hook is unacceptable, like 2 out of 3! I think it's the way they fight, moving their heads right into their bodies, might create a split-second of slack line, just enough for the hook to fall out. Certainly, I don't lose as many of any other species using barbless.

I tend not to use a net either. As I'm stood in the river it's awkward to hold a rod, net and writhing fish within it. I also guessed it might be slightly better for the fish not to be netted, Grayling are very fragile. So, I tend to lift them out by hand.

I think an answer might be to use a more efficient barbless hook. I've just seen the 'knapek' range which have a long and inturned point, should help keep a few more on the hook. Have a look at www.celticflycraft.co.uk see what you think.

Beecy

Reaction score
Ric, I am no expert by any means, as i have only ever caught Grayling on one ocasion (courtesy of john Ledger, who put me on a swim on the Derwent full of them)

But I will echo what John,Keith and Rodney have said.

On the day I mention, I netted every fish even the ones that could be swung.Gently get hold of the fish in the folds of the net so it reduces the 'flapping' effect.

If I was stood in the water I would either have my keepnet top ring to use as a rod rest, or just stick the rod between my knees while holding the landing net.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
OK I'll give the net a go. I'm fly fishing so I don't have a rod rest or anything, but I could tuck my rod under my arm leaving 2 hands free for the net/ unhooking. Now I think about it, I do that anyway, once I have hold of the fish and the wrestling starts!

Great river the Derwent eh Beecy? I regularly do the hour and a half journey from Stockport. Lots of Grayling, mainly smallish, and some cracking Trout. I've not fished it for Chub yet, but that will change this winter.

Beecy

Reaction score
yes, a nice river

To be honest I have only fished it a few times.4 or 5 matches at Borrowash years ago, and the one session with John last winter.

its a river i would definately like to spend more time on this winter, i just need pointing in the right direction ( hint,hint, John !)

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'm going to have a session with John as well, maybe we could make it the same day, a mini fish-in!

J

john ledger

Hope its better than the day i have just had ,fished Upper Trent with Graham and blanked again.
Graham had a couple of nice chub,devious pottery man.
Fishing withe Fred monday so it could be the hatrick

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
Haha, John, when you turned up it started slashing it down, but who brought the sunshine in later? hope you got home safely.

Ric, I use a small cheapo net rather like a tennis bat attached to a zinger when I am wading, I think it came from Mullarkeys of Burton for a fiver or something. it just floats about behind my hip, out of the way and it is easy to use when needed.

Not the same one, but you get the idea.
http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/nets-and-handles/game-fishing-netting-and-handles/0/shakespeare/1132/

J

john ledger

Hey up Tom
Thanks for the day and sorry for all the messing about you had to do.Glad i took your advice as M1 was a carpark.
Reckon old Dave had those two chub in a bucket and hooked them on for Graham to bring in devious pair of shiteters

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
My pleasure John, we will do the Derwent when you get home,on a Saturday, more time to relax then.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
I catch grayling so infrequently I always kiss them first and that seems to subdue them. Wiff of alcohol on the breath does the trick!

J

john ledger

Come with me Peter and you will get fed up of kissing them