how long is your hook length

V

vid

i am using 1ft of stealth skin to a no7 drennan barbel hook tied line aligner 15mm boilie, fished straight lead with a pva bag of pellet pinned down with putty . would anyone change this as it has been slower of late cheers

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Try a 4 foot fluorocarbon hooklength about 10lbs bs. No need to pin it down fluorocarbon has a high SG and sinks fast.

Try smaller baits - elips pellets to a ten or 12 barbel hook.

V

vid

Ron so in your book deception beats the bolt effect,also is this with feeder or pva +lead

S

sash

Still get a bolt effect with a 4ft hooklength in flowing water

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

That's right Sash.

I do not use leads that are fixed or semi-fixed when barbel fishing. I use running leads, and feeders for that matter.

On the Trent particularly the fish still hook themselves and bang the rod top over in no uncertain fashion.

S

Sean Meeghan

Even using very light leads and long hook lengths Barbel still hook themselves. I think their method of feeding makes it almost impossible to eject the bait without pricking themselves and bolting.

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
I might try a 4ft hooklength on Saturday night Ron. I go as far as a 2'6" Length myself to get a bit of a wafting effect going and have felt it has improved bites to hookups when failing to get hookups on a short hooklength.

I also go with the consensus of everyone else regarding the Barbel bites, they dont mess about when feeding, when something takes their fancy they hit the bait at speed, resulting in some spectacular rod wrenchs on the bank.

V

vid

thanks chaps that seems to rule out the need for an in-built bolt,but in persuit of the perfect (Trent)rig can a long tail not be picked up well of bottom in the flow, i think archie braddock touched on this in fantastic feeder fishing

S

sash

What difference would it make?

And if you have worries such as this, pin your hooklength down with shot or putty.

I do slightly disagree with you there Sgt, I've had days on which the majority of bites are taps and twitches. A lot does depend on the balancing of feeders/leads against the flow, amount of bow in the line etc

T

Thalia

Sight change of tack here guys if I may? Listening to your expertise on this river it seems to be the only place worth visiting for barbel at present - Wye low, Dorset Stour and Avon low and gin clear (not sure about Severn). Given all that I'd like to visit the Trent and have a crack at all those lovely barbel. What advice would you give on where to aim for bearing in mind it would be day ticket of course.

Paul Makings

Reaction score
I have fished long, short, mono, braid, etc and all have had their day, i fish two rods with diffrent setups and feed with another rod i have found that i will get bites off different rods at differnt times of day/night etc. i have found that a 2 foot hooklink is a good allround catcher, i have also found that using a popper on a sinking braid hooklength works well.

V

vid

thalia, collingham is an obvious place to start below the weir pegs 1a to 15.
failing that dunham near the bridges.or crankley point on the none tidal .
most fish are cought 6pm to 7am.

V

vid

I have just tried laneham to get away from the crowds but I also seemed to get away from the barbel looking for a spot with good access banks and big fish any ideas.
ps I normally fish only on week days.

T

Thalia

Cheers paul - how does one go about fishing these areas? Are they day ticket?

V

vid

thalia all these waters are day ticket i normally fish 12 lb line to a stealth skin hook length pinned down with putty hook baits halibut boilies or pellet 4to6oz can be needed to hold bottom 1/3rdof the way across access to collingham weir is via westfield lane -right hand fork onto bumpy track to car park in1/2 mile weir is to your left when facing river peg 1a is the flyer but almost never free I tend to settle in the 10-15 area which is a comfortable beech and quite snag free.
feed mixed pellet in pva or lengthen hook length and fish feeder with pellet and marine halibut ground bait 4&6oz feeders from climax tackle

Paul Makings

Reaction score
Hi again,
Have you tried Girton, i have had some success there, it is on the edge of the barbel society waterm they are on the opposite bank, access to any part of the trent can be dodgy, you can also fish at besthorpe, turning is just past the school if heading from gainsborough, keep going down and you will meet the trent, it is scunthorpe controlled water, failing that you can get access to other parts of the collingham water well away from the weir.
There are plenty of non-tidal places to choose from some are day ticket some are members only but you just have a purchase a year book, look at www.nottinghamanglers.co.uk