Here?s a big catch that no novice angler could Carp on about

I

Ian Cloke

SHE was a small fish in a big male pond but after a monster catch shattering the British record she has now netted the right to call herself a champion fisherwoman.

Gardener Vicky Aspinal, who has been dangling her line in water for just four years, reeled in two of the biggest fish EVER caught on the country?s shores.

In two hours she hooked two monster carp ? one 41?lb and the other 48?lb ? putting her hubby, Robert, 31, who has been casting off for 20 years, to shame.

AdvertisementHe gazed wistfully at his own modest catches, respectable in angling circles, whilst his wife leapt into the record books.

"I was really, really chuffed for her," he said. "After all, I taught her everything she knows."

And all this from a little lady who was fishing on British waters for the FIRST time, but she did cut her teeth on French lakes over the last couple of years.

Vicky, 30, of Gritstone Drive, Macclesfield, said: "The fish looked bigger than me, you don?t realise just how big they are when you see them in magazines but they really are massive."

The Aspinals were on a day ticket at Monument Lake in Shifnall in Shropshire when they set up their rods baited with halibut pellets at 9am, and sat back. At 10am Vicky?s line alarm went off and she pulled in the 41lb beast which she reeled in all on her own in just 15 minutes.

Lake owner, Rob Hales, was called and was over the moon that a woman had netted such a whopper and told the couple that no fish like that will be caught for another two years. The Aspinals, who have been married six years, had barely settled back down when, two hours later Vicky was wrestling with the 48?lb monster which bent her rod double.

Vicky, who works as a landscape gardener at Tatton Park, said: "Once I?d pulled the first one in I just wanted to go out and celebrate but it was so early and we had to stay.

"It?s just a shame it wasn?t Robert that caught them as he has been fishing for a lot longer than me."

Robert, a garden centre delivery driver, unlike most husbands didn?t get too jealous of his wife?s haul, and reeled in a 29?lb carp the next day. Not only was the overall lake record of 43lbs obliterated, but the women?s lake record of 32lbs was also shattered by Vicky.

The British record of the biggest brace in a day is still to be verified.