mystery wensum barbel

blankety blank

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this is a longer post than usual. It is prompted by Chris Turnbull's article on the Wensum, in the September issue of Coarse Angling.

CT explains in detail the decline of the Wensum and the sterling efforts made by NACA to restore parts of the river to its old glory, and to create attractive barbel habitats. He also speculates about the existence of barbel throughout the river, downstream of the famous Sayers Meadow stretch.

There are a few big barbel at Lenwade (a 17 caught recently) and he is of the opinion that it would be surprising if a few solitary barbel are not in residence further downstream, maybe all the way to Norwich. If so, there is every chance that they could be very big fish indeed. He goes on to say that it is very difficult to establish if this is true, as access to the river is very restricted.

Well, I happen to have access to about 1 1/2 miles of the Wensum, not at all far downstream from Lenwade. It runs through farmland owned by a bloke I used to work with, and he lets me fish there from time to time. It is the sort of thing where I am uncomfortable asking him for permission too often, but 4 or 5 times a year is fine.

It is a stunning stretch, and to look at it you would think it was barbel paradise. There are deep pools, steady glides, shallow fast riffles, streamer weed, a gravel bottom, no silting etc etc. The only thing missing is much in teh way of bankside cover.

I am convinced that there just has to be a barbel or two living there. If so, they probably have never seen an angler's hook.

Trouble is, I've never seen one, let alone caught one. Plenty of chub, a few good pike, shoals of roach and dace and the odd trout, but no barbel.

I know that if it were possible, I ought to spend hours and hours there with my polaroids, but this is not really on, bearing in mind my limited access.

What I would like to know from you barbel experts out there is, if you were faced with this situation, how would you fish the stretch?

E

EC

Given that you've only got 4 or 5 days mate, but that you have got the place to yourself, I'd maybe spend a little time trying to spot fish. Possibly trying to tempt one or two out from cover with some hemp or pellets, and then fish for what you can see.

Generally though, having a virtually exclusive stretch is a genuine gift that many of us would give an arm or a leg for. Me personally, I wouldnt spend too much time searching for monsters that may not be there, I'd just enjoy what I had and fish for whatever was in front of me!

blankety blank

Reaction score
Eddie, I know what you mean, it is a fantastic treat to fish there.

I spent opening day there last year. No barbel, but I fooled around for a bit with a spinning rod and a small plug, and caught a 19 pounder first cast. It is that sort of place.

It's just that I would love to think I might have some barbel fishing on the doorstep, as it is such a long drive to the Trent...

Also, this 20 pound virgin barbel keeps haunting my waking dreams...

E

EC

Sounds like you got yourself a genuine bit of paradise mate! Regardless of what species you target, there's a good chance they haven't seen an angler before by the sounds of it!

It's a question of how much time you want to spend searching for the mythical beast versus time spent actually fishing. I know the old adage 'time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted' is often true, but you could possibly be spending large amounts of time looking for something that doesnt actually exist, but then again, you never know.........