Glazing Baits

S

Steven West

What is glazing baits and why would you want to do it?

C

Chris Bishop

Softer sea baits, esp sardines, get freezer burn very easily.

If you buy them in bulk, they don't come vacuum packed, so they "burn" and start drying out within a few weeks.

They also seem to lose some of the oils "fresh" sardines have in the process.

Glazing them stops this happening and also stops them sticking together.

Andy mentioned doing it the other day but I couldn't remember how he said he did it.

R

Rob Brownfield

All it does is places a "sheath" of ice around the bait. If u buy Sardines from Tescos already frozen, you will see what I mean.

C

Chris Bishop

Precisely. Nice analogy mate as well. Bit of a freudian slip..?

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Rob,
Which Tesco is that? The ones around here only sell fresh [?] fish. Waitrose on the other hand do sell frozen ones, but they aren't open when I can get there.
Colin

C

Chris Bishop

Colin, Tesco's sometimes have boxes of frozen sardies in the back - try asking them to get you one.

A lot come from Portugal in 1kg bags, most we fish shops can get 'em.

R

Rob Brownfield

Colin...the sardines come in frozen....they then de frost them and put them out as "Fresh"...cheeky buggers....U will see a sign, "not for re-freezing" next to them.

I just ask them for the un-openned bags. They weigh the whole bag...which means the weight of the bag and ice makes them a bit more expensive...but sometimes, if u make a joke of this, they knock the price down. Still a hell of a lot cheaper then buying from the tackle shop....and better quality too.

B

Birds Nest

Local fish market in northampton would always happily sell me bags of frozen (Fresh) sardines....