Richard Carter Centrepin Reel Valuation

bigchub

Reaction score
I've been mulling the idea over in my head for a couple of months about selling my Richard Carter Merlin centrepin reel. It's the 4 1/2 inch, wide drum, anodized black model with lever ratchet.
Its in very good condition and is cleaned regularly and spins all day like a dream. Comes complete with box, certificate of authenticity, even the receipt when is was brought in June 1995. Its number 34 of I think around 100 (could be more).
I was told last year by a person on another forum that it was worth around £450 - £500. Any thoughts?

xenon

Reaction score
by all means tell me to shove off and mind my own business, but sounds like you have a gem there. Why are you selling it?!!?

bigchub

Reaction score
I'm not selling at the moment just wondering what it worth might be to the discerning collector out there. I may not end up selling it. Just testing the water so to speak.

chav professor

Reaction score
That sounds like a nice piece and probably a sound investment...... I bet if you follow Ebay, one will appear and you could track its progress without risking your own. Funny thing Ebay - I often put a speculitive bid on some nice item and they always seem to achieve a realistic value (by which time I have been well out bid:()

It is rare to get a bargin on Ebay - there are plenty of collectors scouring the site. But i bet you would regret parting with it........

I'm getting a J W Young 'ray walton rolling-pin' for my 40th - so long as the Lea valley mafia don't take me out before i get there:D

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Bigchub,

The last two Boxed Browning Revolvers on e-bay went for over £500.00 each.

Richard Carter Centrepins are more desirable, so I would think it would make at least this amount and could be higher.

Bob

mick b

Reaction score
About 18months ago I got a Carter Aerial Gem for £325 off eBay, only later to discover that the person bidding against me was my fishing mate!:eek:mg: