Legering for Perch...

Books GingGing

Reaction score
Hello all.
I am doing a bit more perch fishing year and am not sure what sort of leger weight to use.
Will i be better using a light weight to minimize resistance, or use a heavier weight, but rely on the weight not moving and fish with a free running rig?
Also would a maggot feeder work well, or would a groundbait feeder be better with a light cloudy grounbait?
Thanks for looking.....

captain carrott

Reaction score
how i would go about it,

running ledger, heavy weight, lob on the hook, constatly putting in very small balls of plan crumb mixed 50-50 white/brown.
this will attract the bits, which in turn will attract the perch, the best groundbait for perch is a shoal of small fish which are totally preoccupied on the cloudy groundbait.

Books GingGing

Reaction score
Thanks Captain, so the idea behind the heavy leger weight is so it wont move when perch takes the bait and acts as a running rig ( or as free running as you can get it )
Do people use bobbins for perch in slow moving water, i would i be better off using quiver tip top of rod?

Wozzer

Reaction score
The low resistance run rings are good for using on a link with a heavy lead

D

DAN.

i prefer to use lobs injected with air to pop them up on a running ledger rig

J Spoon

Reaction score
Hi Books,

most of my autumn is spent perch fishing on a slow moving river, and 99% of the time I ledger, with a single lob worm, no offerings, but thats mainly because of how far I need to cast to get there.. I have always used a running ledger with a weight just enough to hold bottom and slightly bend a quiver tip, the softest tip possible of course.. bobbins at this time of year probably arnt the best idea because of the amount of leaves in the water, they will catch the line and just bring the bobbin up, but in winter when the leaves have gone, its worth a go.. as Dan mentions, popping worms up is a good ploy, but be careful if youre doing this.. get any air in your finger n it could kill you.. Having said that, Ive often found that if you can put a worm on their nose, they will have it within seconds, popped up or not..

Ill also add that if you can float fish, this is always a good option as that is far less ressistance, but it isnt always possible..

hope this helps,

John

T

The Monk

I like to use speed feeders with maggot and quiver type butt indicators with optonics, like scaled down carp methods really I suppose. I usually use a pair of Avon rods

S

sash

Tiny weight, fixed paternoster, bobbin on a long drop with a sensitive alarm. Worm popped up so that it "dances" on the bottom.

P

Phil Heaton

A stret pegged lobworm against a feature works well, or a trotted live bait tight alongside undercut banks and overhanging bushes / trees.

stuart clough

Reaction score
heavy lead, free running paternoster (metal marker float rings are good) circle hook and a 3-4in lip hooked livebait. feed cloudy groundbait and maggots, fish to features such as snags and undercut banks and if it is sunny keep your bait in the shade.