Float Fishing Deadbaits for Pike...

Books GingGing

Reaction score
Sorry about all the questions.
Looking at using this method for fishing for pike on some lakes i fish that have a lear bottom, but have a few little niggles i am not sure about.

First point, i would think i would be better off with a bottom end attached pike float rather than one that has line running through the middle, is this correct
Would i need to fish the float over depth with swan shot on trace resting on the bottom, and if so by how much?
Would i be better with a large float and put plenty of shot on the bottom ( i would think it would be better as this would give a confident indication if pike picks up back and lifts shot off bottom which should then sink float ? )
After i have cast out, would i then put rod back in rests and tighten up sinking the line up to bottom of float?
How obvious is when when you get a take, i am just a bit concerned about bite indication when fishing overdepth?
Thanks for looking.....

C

Chris Bishop

Try and fish a couple of feet over-depth if it's calm, increase it a bit if there's a wind or tow on the water.

I tend to use three or four swanshot on the trace 18" or so from the bait.

Cast out, feather it so it lands in a straight line, then tighten up as you put the rod in the rests so the float just cocks.

The float's set against the weight on the trace, so it'll usually fall over as a fish picks your bait up, then slide off across the top as it moves off to swallow it.

This is obviously when to strike.

If the fish goes straight away from you, the float will go under and the line will tighten.

There are several articles on pike rigs etc on here and also on the Pike Anglers Club website www.pacgb.co.uk

Books GingGing

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Chris....do you use bottom end only floats?
Also do any of you use the loaded deadbait floats?

C

Chris Bishop

Bottom-end-only but never loaded floats off the bank as you won't always see when a fish picks your bait up.

Make my own pencil floats out of balsa dowel.

Adam Martin 3

Reaction score
Brought some ace bagin wagler floats for 70p each that make geat dead bait pencils

I even glued in a spiggot to the top so i use a star light for evening sesions at close range.

Y

yoggy

Talking of floats,i now use those big balsa sea fishing floats.Highly visable,and as cheap as chips.I paid 4 quid for 10 floats.